A Meatloaf Sandwich is one of our favorite ways to eat leftover meatloaf! Melted provolone cheese and caramelized, thyme infused onions top thick slices of meatloaf that are warmed up in butter. Pile onto a soft roll for a comfort food dinner in less than 10 minutes!
Game Day & Party Worthy Meatloaf Sandwich Recipe
Or just an easy but seriously delicious leftover dinner recipe that’s done in 10 minutes. We find ourselves making an extra meatloaf for dinner just so we can slice it and freeze it for these Meatloaf Sandwiches.
We’re going to get into all the different ways to top this sandwich, how to serve them and what sides go perfectly with them.
So whether you’re planning on these meatloaf sandwiches for an easy dinner, game day or holiday meal, we’ve got you covered.
How To Make And Assemble A Meatloaf Sandwich
This is a quick caramelized onion recipe, not one that’s going take 30 minutes or longer for that extra deep caramelization flavor.
Just about 7-8 minutes in a skillet is all you need!
Add sliced yellow onions to a skillet with butter, salt and fresh thyme sprigs. Cook while stirring occasionally for 7-8 minutes until the onion soften and turn brown in color. Remove the thyme and set aside.
Wipe out the same skillet, add more butter and then place your meatloaf slices into the skillet. Brown for 2 minutes on each side until the meatloaf gets a nice crispy crust on the outside.
Add a good amount of the onions to each slice of meatloaf, top with a slice of provolone cheese and then cover the skillet with a lid to melt the cheese.
Add the two slices of meatloaf to your favorite bun, we’re using a Portuguese roll here, and add any additional condiments that you like.
What Condiments Go Well With Meatloaf?
Ketchup is a favorite in our house, especially with the kids. My personal favorite is mayonnaise, but there are so many more options, too!
- Awesome Sauce
- Yum Yum Sauce
- 5 minute Brown Gravy – no drippings needed!
- Honey Mustard
- Barbecue Sauce
What Other Types Of Cheese Are Good With Meatloaf?
Really any type of melting cheese that you like. Mozzarella is another good option, Monterey Jack, cheddar, gruyere and even good ol’ classic American cheese!
And of course, you can skip the cheese altogether if you like and just pour on brown gravy or your favorite condiments.
How Do You Freeze Meatloaf For This Sandwich Recipe?
When we have leftover meatloaf, we cut it into thick slices and wrap each slice in plastic wrap individually, then store it in a resealable freezer bag. That way you can pull out as many slices as you like for an easy dinner or to make a Meatloaf Sandwich!
And yes, we do make meatloaf just for making these sandwiches, when you’re already making a meatloaf for dinner, it’s just as easy to make two! Serve one for dinner and then have an extra to freeze for leftovers.
What Sides Go With A Meatloaf Sandwich?
This sandwich recipe is an easy party food or game day dinner idea. Just have your sliced, (defrosted if frozen) meatloaf ready to go in the fridge and the rest just takes 10 minutes! Choose from some of our favorite side dishes here:
- Baked Steak Fries
- Shoestring Fries (made 3 ways!)
- Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Beans
- Cheesy Crock Pot Potatoes
- Tuna Pasta Salad
- BBQ Bacon Potato Salad
How About A Few More Meatloaf Recipes?Print
This is the BEST Meatloaf Sandwich ever! Caramelized onions infused with fresh thyme top thick sliced meatloaf covered in melted cheese! Use leftover, sliced meatloaf to make this comforting sandwich recipe in 10 minutes!
- 2 thick slices leftover meatloaf (use our Brown Gravy Meatloaf or our Classic Meatloaf recipe!)
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled, cut in half and sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4–5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 2 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese
- Buns for serving
- Add 2 tablespoons of the butter to a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and thyme sprigs to the skillet, stirring to combine with the butter. Season the onions with the salt and fresh black pepper to taste. Cook for 7-8 minutes until softened and brown in color. Remove the onions from the skillet into a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Wipe out the same skillet, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and let melt until bubbly. Place the slices of meatloaf in the skillet and cook for 2 minutes on each side until a nice, brown crust forms on the meatloaf.
- Turn the heat down to low and then place a pile of the onions on both pieces of meatloaf, followed by two slices of cheese. Cover the skillet to melt the cheese.
- Use a spatula to place the meatloaf slices onto a bun and serve with desired condiments.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, meatloaf sandwich recipe, meatloaf recipe, sandwich recipe, game day food, leftover recipes, comfort food recipe, easy recipes