This is the BEST Meatloaf Sandwich ever! Caramelized onions infused with fresh thyme top thick sliced meatloaf covered in melted cheese! Use leftover, sliced meatloaf to make this comforting sandwich recipe in 10 minutes!
- 2 thick slices leftover meatloaf (use our Brown Gravy Meatloaf or our Classic Meatloaf recipe!)
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled, cut in half and sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4–5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 2 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese
- Buns for serving
- Add 2 tablespoons of the butter to a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and thyme sprigs to the skillet, stirring to combine with the butter. Season the onions with the salt and fresh black pepper to taste. Cook for 7-8 minutes until softened and brown in color. Remove the onions from the skillet into a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Wipe out the same skillet, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and let melt until bubbly. Place the slices of meatloaf in the skillet and cook for 2 minutes on each side until a nice, brown crust forms on the meatloaf.
- Turn the heat down to low and then place a pile of the onions on both pieces of meatloaf, followed by two slices of cheese. Cover the skillet to melt the cheese.
- Use a spatula to place the meatloaf slices onto a bun and serve with desired condiments.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, meatloaf sandwich recipe, meatloaf recipe, sandwich recipe, game day food, leftover recipes, comfort food recipe, easy recipes