This Brown Gravy Meatloaf is the best meatloaf recipe ever! Every time we make this meatloaf, it comes out perfect – and we make it a lot!
Why Meatloaf With Brown Gravy Is One of Our Favorite Recipes
Meatloaf night is big at our house – we are a meatloaf loving family. This Brown Gravy Meatloaf recipe is one we make very often, too.
It’s a perfectly seasoned meatloaf covered with a homemade brown gravy that only takes minutes to make! it seems like you’re either a meatloaf with brown gravy person or a classic meatloaf with tomato glaze person.
Tips For Making The Best Meatloaf With Brown Gravy
Onions. Onions people. Onions are what makes this meatloaf recipe taste as good as it does.
Not undercooked crunchy onions, but tender, super sweet onions that practically melt into the meatloaf. SO make sure in the first part of this recipe you take the time to really cook the onions down.
Super sweet onions are really a big part of why this meatloaf recipe is the best.
The other trick to giving this meatloaf the best flavor and texture is not over mixing the meat. Just mix the meat well enough to get all your ingredients combined and walk away.
It’s all going in the same spot anyway.
Lastly, you have to make sure that you season your meatloaf properly before you go through all the trouble of shaping it into that loaf and cooking it. Take a small ball of the meat after you’ve mixed it and fry it up really quick in a pan.
Taste it to make sure it’s seasoned to your liking then move on to your loaf shaping.
Can You Make This Meatloaf Recipe Ahead Of Time?
You definitely can, and you’ve got a couple of options here.
You can make the meatloaf mixture and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake, or you can make the meatloaf all the way through, let it cool and reheat later.
Either way works totally fine so pick your method.
This Brown Gravy Meatloaf Recipe is our adaptation of an old meatloaf recipe we used to make all the time from Ina Garten. It’s a classic meatloaf recipe, kicked up with fresh thyme and lots of onions.
And let’s be honest, Ina knows how to make everything perfect so you know it’s going to be good.
How Can You Tell When Meatloaf Is Done?
Your meatloaf should register at 160 degrees using a meat thermometer when you take it out oft he oven. Or you can cut into the middle of the meatloaf to see if the pink is gone, then you know it’s cooked all the way through.
When this meatloaf comes out of the oven, you can pour the brown gravy all over the top and serve with extra gravy on the side.
All that delicious brown gravy is screaming for a pile of mashed potatoes or crispy french fries to soak it up, so don’t forget to get those going while this meatloaf is cooking in the oven!
Looking For More Meatloaf Recipes?
- Tasty AF Turkey Meatloaf with Bacon
- Turkey Taco Meatloaf
- Chicken Cordon Blue Meatloaf
- Swedish Meatloaf Recipe
This Brown Gravy Meatloaf Recipe is so easy and delicious, you’ll be making it all the time! Serve this beef meatloaf with our simple brown gravy recipe that can be made in just 5 minutes!
- 2 1/2 pounds meatloaf mix
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Brown Gravy Recipe (for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the oil to a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions, salt and pepper and cook for 7-8 minutes until slightly caramelized and softened.
- Add the garlic, stir and cook for a minute longer, then add the thyme, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce.
- Work the tomato paste into the onions and garlic, then pour in the chicken broth and stir. Let the chicken broth reduce for 1 minute and then turn the heat off and remove the skillet from the burner to cool.
- To a large bowl, add the meatloaf mix along with the eggs and breadcrumbs. Once the onion mixture has cooled, add it to the bowl with the meat and mix to combine. (Clean hands work the best!)
- Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. (You can also use a piece of parchment paper) Form the meat into a loaf shape and place in the oven.
- Cook the meatloaf for 50-55 minutes. Check the meatloaf after 50 minutes to see if it’s cooked through, this will depend on the size and shape you made your meatloaf.
- While the meatloaf is in the oven you can make the brown gravy by following the recipe link. When the meatloaf comes out of the oven, pour the gravy over the top of the meatloaf or slice the meatloaf and serve the gravy on the side.
Meatloaf mix is a ground meat combination of beef, pork and veal which is sold in most grocery stores.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, meatloaf recipe, meatloaf, brown gravy meatloaf, best meatloaf recipe, meatloaf, with brown gravy, easy meatloaf recipe