Try this Chicken Cordon Bleu Meatloaf recipe for dinner tonight! Layers of ham and Swiss cheese tucked inside a juicy chicken meatloaf can’t be beat!
If you love meatloaf recipes like we love making this Easy Meatloaf Recipe! Or you can try this over the top delicious Tasty AF Meatloaf recipe…or turn meatloaf night into a party with this Turkey Taco Meatloaf!
Meatloaf recipes are so perfect for make ahead dinners, parties or just a quick family meal!
I feel like meatloaf is one of those things that people feel pretty strongly about. Either you love it or you hate it, there’s not much in between.
We are a meatloaf loving family, all of us will eat meatloaf at any given time. There’s not really much not to love in my opinion, it’s basically like a giant meatball that’s baked and sliced.
I mean, unless you don’t like meatballs…
Another great thing about meatloaf recipes is that you can make them ahead of time and just warm a slice up in the microwave when you need it. With everyone going in different directions these days that is a dinner I can get behind!
What Is Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Cordon bleu is basically a meat wrapped around some type of cheese, that’s breaded and fried. You can make cordon bleu with chicken, pork or veal. Ham seem to be optional in traditional definitions, but we typically see cordon bleu recipes with ham as well.
Now enter our Chicken Cordon Bleu Meatloaf! This extra juicy chicken meatloaf (not dried out by using a secret ingredient) is basically two layers of chicken meatloaf with a middle layer of ham and Swiss cheese.
And OMG it’s so good you guys…
Also, don’t look at this meatloaf recipe and pass it by because you think it looks difficult in any way. Because it’s SO easy, promise. A handy loaf pan really does all of the work for you.
So a typical cordon bleu recipe, as I mentioned above, is typical pan fried or deep fried but we are not frying our meatloaf people…although there is something interesting about that I think.
We’re going to mimic that crunchy, crispy fried texture by adding panko breadcrumbs to the top of this meatloaf right in the oven. If you don’t use panko breadcrumbs or have never tried them, grab yourself a can because they are pretty life changing.
How Do You Make Meatloaf?
Basically, you start by mixing together your protein together, your turkey, beef or in this case chicken with seasonings, eggs and breadcrumbs.
Layer half of the chicken mixture in the bottom of a loaf pan. Next layer ham and Swiss cheese all across the chicken layer, then follow that with the other half of the chicken mixture on top.
We don’t want the crispy breadcrumbs to burn, so first cook the meatloaf without the breadcrumb topping, then add the panko breadcrumbs during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
Don’t worry, I’ll keep you busy while your chicken meatloaf is in the oven. Quickly get together the ingredients for the creamy dijon gravy that can be spooned over the top of this meatloaf of use as a dipping sauce on the plate.
Slice it up, pour the gravy all over and serve. Am I right? Fancy AF meatloaf recipe. Meatloaf awesome enough to serve at a party.
This Chicken Cordon Bleu Meatloaf is pretty enough to serve at any party and definitely tasty enough to get all the “oohs” and “ahhs” from your guests. But just for dinner tonight?
Yep, this meatloaf is going to be a home run.
What Can I Serve With Meatloaf?Print
This chicken meatloaf recipe has layers of ham and cheese tucked in between a super juicy meatloaf!
- 2 lbs. ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs, plain
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 6 slices virginia ham
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- 3/4 cup fresh or panko breadcrumbs for the topping
For the Creamy Dijon Gravy
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup skim or 1% milk
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the ground chicken to a large bowl and mix with the egg, mayonnaise, 1/4 cup of the breadcrumbs, minced onion, garlic powder, dried parsley, salt and pepper.
- Spray a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with cooking spray and add half the chicken mixture to the bottom of the pan spreading it out to make an even layer.
- Next layer on three slices of ham then three slices of cheese. Repeat with another layer of ham and cheese.
- Top the meatloaf with the rest of the chicken, spreading the layer evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes and then remove from the oven and carefully top with the breadcrumbs.
- Place the meatloaf back in the oven for 15 minutes, covering with foil halfway through if the breadcrumbs start to get to browned.
- To make the gravy, add the butter to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Once melted, whisk in the flour and cook for one minute.
- Next add the cream, milk, worcestershire sauce and dijon mustard.
- Whisk to combine and let come to a simmer to thicken.
- After 3-4 minutes add the parmesan cheese and nutmeg, whisk to combine and taste for seasonings.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes in the loaf pan after you remove it from the oven, then carefully lift out of the pan and slice.
- Serve with sauce on the side or spooned over top.
* Insert a meat thermometer and make sure the chicken is 165 degrees before serving.
Keywords: meatloaf recipe, chicken meatloaf, meatloaf, chicken cordon bleu, low carb dinner, easy chicken recipe