Cheesy Crock Pot Potatoes are super creamy and cheesy – and SO easy to make! The perfect potato side dish for a BBQ, holiday meal or Sunday dinner at home!
Serve these cheesy slow cooker potatoes with a comforting Meatloaf Recipe or a marinated Flank Steak! But really, most any dinner will work with this potato recipe from Grilled Chicken to a holiday Roast Turkey and more!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes
Have you ever made potatoes in a slow cooker? We don’t that often, but when we made these Cheesy Crock Pot Potatoes for the first time we knew that was going to change. These crock pot potatoes are so east to make, they are perfect for every day dinners, BBQ’s and holidays! It’s a true dump and go crock pot recipe, there’s nothing more involved than adding everything to a slow cooker, turning it on and walking away.
These cheesy potatoes are SO out of this world delicious, you won’t be able to stop eating them! The potatoes come out tender but still hold their shape and they are swimming in the most creamy, cheesy delicious sauce.
All covered in another layer of cheese just in case that wasn’t enough.
You only need a few basic ingredients to make these Cheesy Crock Pot Potatoes, and most of them are probably in your pantry and refrigerator!
Frozen, Diced Potatoes: That’s right – we said this was an easy crock pot recipe! No need to thaw them out either, just add them right to your crock pot.
Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup: You can use Cream of Mushroom Soup too if that’s what you have on hand, but we love the flavor this chicken soup adds to these cheesy potatoes.
Onion: Diced yellow onion adds tons of flavor in these potatoes. Don’t worry, they’ll cook down and be soft (no crunchy onions!) by the time the potatoes are cooked.
Cheddar Cheese: Get creative with your cheese if you like! We stuck with cheddar because well, we love cheddar, and it goes so nicely with potatoes.
Sour Cream or Cream Cheese: The more traditional recipe uses sour cream, but we tried this recipe with both sour cream and cream cheese. Both are delicious so if you have one or the other in your refrigerator or maybe you don’t like one or the other – you can use what you like.
How To Make Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes
Like I said before, these slow cooker potatoes are so easy to make, you’ll be making them a lot. Because what’s better than a super flavorful, easy to make, make ahead side dish recipe???
- Start by adding a bag of frozen, diced potatoes to a 4-6 quart crock pot. You don’t want to use to large of a crock pot here so something in that range will work best. We used our favorite rectangular crock pot which is 3.5 quarts for this recipe and it works perfectly! You can check out how to get that crock pot by visiting our SHOP!
- Add the rest of the ingredients (saving 1 cup of cheese to alter add to the top)to the crock pot and stir together to combine. You can also do this in a large bowl and then transfer to your slow cooker.
- Cook on low for low for 3-4 hours or on high for 6-7 hours. During the last 30 minutes of cooking, add the reserved cheese to the top of the potatoes, cover and let melt during the rest of the cooking time.
Tips For The Best Cheesy Potatoes
We’re adding grated cheddar cheese in two places for these cheesy potatoes! One cup goes into the sauce as it’s cooking so that you get melty, cheese flavor all through the potatoes. Then at the end, another cup of cheese goes on top of the potatoes creating a blanket of melted cheddar cheese on top.
So basically with every bite of this potato casserole you’re getting full on cheese flavor!
How To Store And Reheat Cheesy Potatoes
The best way to store these potatoes is to let them cool and then wrap them with plastic wrap before refrigerating. You can transfer leftover potatoes to a container, or depending on how much we have left, we’ve even wrapped them right in the cooled crock pot insert.
Reheating these Cheesy Crock Pot Potatoes is as easy as heating them up in the microwave! We reheat these potatoes for breakfast with eggs and sausage on the side or for lunch or dinner.
Looking For More Side Dish Recipes?
- Jailhouse Rice (A Beef and Rice Casserole)
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- The BEST Sausage Stuffing
- Classic Potato Salad
These crock pot potatoes are the perfect side dish for BBQ’s, holidays and just every day dinners! So easy to make, just dump and go!
- 32 ounces frozen diced potatoes
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (10.5 ounce can) cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon black pepper depending on taste
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup sour cream or 6 ounces softened cream cheese
- Add all of the ingredients (using only 1 cup of the cheese) to a large bowl and stir together to combine. Spray the insert of a 4-6 quart slow cooker and add the potato mixture, spreading out in an even layer.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 6-7 hours. Stir the potatoes once during cooking if possible.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, add the remaining cup of cheese in an even layer to the top of the potatoes. Cover and let the cheese melt during the last 30 minutes of the cooking time.
- You can keep these potatoes on the “warm” setting on your crock pot if serving at a party or holiday.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: slow cooker recipes, crock pot recipes, potato recipes, side dish recipes, cheesy potatoes, potato casserole