What could be better than a comforting Bacon Meatloaf for dinner? This delicious meatloaf recipe is at the top of our dinner list. Our favorite meatloaf base kicked up with cheddar cheese and of course, lots of crispy bacon!
Ingredients For Bacon Meatloaf
Well, bacon, of course. We took our favorite meatloaf recipe as a base for this Bacon Meatloaf and kicked it up with cheddar cheese and chopped bacon. It’s a match made in heaven, my friends, and we know you’re going to love it!
For the full list of ingredients and amounts, see the recipe card below.
- Meatloaf Mix: You can find meatloaf mix at most grocery stores in the butcher department. It’s a combination of ground beef, pork and veal.
- Bacon: Cook and chop 12 strips of bacon, reserving the drippings to cook the onions and garlic.
- Onions: Yellow onions for their sweetness.
- Garlic: Fresh, chopped garlic.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Tomato paste
- Cheddar cheese: Shredded, you can also use different cheeses if you like.
- Breadcrumbs: We use seasoned breadcrumbs for more flavor.
Do You Have To Make Meatloaf In A Loaf Pan?
No, you don’t have to use a loaf pan to make meatloaf. In fact, we prefer not to. A lot of people think that the meatloaf won’t stay together if you free-form it on a sheet pan.
That’s the job of the breadcrumbs and eggs, it will stay together perfectly. This Bacon Meatloaf has the perfect proportions of ingredients, so don’t worry about it falling apart!
Let the meatloaf rest after coming out of the oven for about 10 minutes and it will slice perfectly.
The other reason that we don’t often choose a loaf pan for making meatloaf is because the meatloaf sits in all the grease as it cooks. If you use a rimmed sheet pan like we did here, the grease form the meatloaf can run off to the sides as it cooks.
Variations On Bacon Meatloaf
For starters, you can use turkey bacon if you like. Or any other bacon like maple flavored or smoked. Just don’t choose thick sliced bacon for this meatloaf recipe. We like how the bacon seems to blend in perfectly with the meatloaf.
Other variations to this bacon meatloaf can include different types of cheeses like colby jack or even mozzarella like we use in our Italian Meatloaf recipe.
You can also use all ground beef to make this meatloaf if you can’t find meatloaf mix. Do ask at your butcher counter if they can give you a meatloaf mix, as it adds tons of flavor to this recipe.
What To Serve With Meatloaf
There’s so many side dish options that go wonderfully with this Bacon Meatloaf. We’ll list some of our favorites here for you!
Don’t forget that meatloaf also makes an amazing sandwich. Add thick slices to bread or a roll and top it with cheese and gravy!
- Mashed Potatoes
- Crispy Baked Steak Fries
- Steamed Broccoli
- Sherry Mushrooms
- Garlic Parmesan Potatoes
- The BEST Roasted Carrots
How To Store And Reheat Meatloaf
Leftover meatloaf is such a delicious, easy meal to reheat right in the microwave. After the meatloaf cools, slice and store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
You can also reheat meatloaf in the oven at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes until warmed through.
Freezing cooked meatloaf is a great way to meal prep for easy dinners. Slice the meatloaf into thick pieces and wrap individually in plastic wrap and then store in a freezer bag.
Let the frozen meatloaf slices defrost in the refrigerator and then reheat in the oven or microwave.
Looking For More Meatloaf Recipes?
- Brown Gravy Meatloaf
- Italian Meatloaf
- Classi Meatloaf Recipe
- Turkey Meatloaf
- BBQ Meatloaf Muffins (super easy, kids love!)
- Ritz Cracker Meatloaf
What could be more comforting than this Bacon Meatloaf for dinner? A delicious meatloaf recipe with cheddar cheese and lots of crispy bacon!
- 12 slices of bacon
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 pounds meatloaf mix
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain and cool. Drain off all but 3 tablespoons of the bacon drippings from the skillet. Add the onions to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes until lightly browned and softened. Add garlic, stir and cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir the tomato paste into the onion mixture, then add Worcestershire sauce, chicken broth, salt, pepper and stir to combine. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Add the meatloaf mix to a large bowl. Chop the bacon into small pieces, reserving 2 tablespoons to go on top of the meatloaf. Add the chopped bacon, eggs, cheddar cheese, breadcrumbs and the cooled onion mixture into the bowl and mix until combined.
- Form the mixture into a loaf and place onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake for 25 minutes then remove from the oven and add the reserved 2 tablespoons of crumbled bacon to the top of the meatloaf.
- Place back into the oven for 20 minutes until the center of the meatloaf is no longer pink. Let the meatloaf rest, tented with foil, for 10 minutes before slicing.
Store: Let the meatloaf cool and then slice into thick pieces. Store in and air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheat: Reheat leftover meatloaf in the microwave or oven until warmed through.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top / Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, meatloaf recipe, bacon meatloaf, comfort food recipes, recipes with bacon