Dig into this cheesy, flavorful Italian Meatloaf tonight! Ground beef and pork combined with parmesan cheese and a blend of herbs and spices give this meatloaf an Italian-style feel that can’t be beat.
A layer of marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese seal in the flavor and juices!
Italian Meatloaf Recipe
When you’re craving something hearty and comforting, this Italian Meatloaf is the dinner to make. A flavorful, moist meatloaf recipe that feels like a giant meatball, covered in sauce and cheese.
This meatloaf recipe uses a combination of ground beef and ground pork, you can add some ground veal in there, too if you like.
Italian seasonings, nutty parmesan cheese and sweet caramelized onions make this meatloaf irresistible.
How To Make Italian Meatloaf
This recipe starts much like our popular Brown Gravy Meatloaf recipe, using sweet caramelized onions for the base.
- Cook the onions over medium-low heat so that they don’t burn. We’re looking for a soft, sweet onion flavor. Add chopped garlic after the onions have caramelized and stir for 1 minute.
- Add a tablespoon of tomato paste at the end, stirring to combine with the garlic and onions.
- Let the onion mixture cool while you add the meatloaf ingredients to a large bowl. 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef, 1/2 pound of ground pork, 2 eggs, parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs and seasonings.
- Mix to combine the ingredients well, but don’t over mix the meatloaf or it will end up tough instead of airy and fluffy.
- Form the mixture into a loaf and place onto a baking sheet lined with non-stick aluminum foil.
- Bake the meatloaf for 45 minutes, then remove from the oven and top with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Return the meatloaf to the oven for another 10-15 minutes until the center of the meatloaf is no longer pink and the cheese is melted on top.
- Let the meatloaf rest for a few minutes after removing from the oven, then slice and serve.
What’s The Secret To A Moist Meatloaf?
Start by using the right type of meat. We like using an 80% or an 85% lean ground beef. Anything higher than that will result in a drier, tougher meatloaf. You need a little bit of fat in the ground beef for moisture!
Another tip is to use a good amount of sweet, yellow onions like we did in this meatloaf recipe. Onions not only add flavor but they help the meat hold in the moisture while cooking.
Also, don’t overcook the meatloaf, as it will dry out if left too long in the oven. The internal temperature of a meatloaf should be right around 160 degrees, with no pink in the center.
What Are Some Good Side Dishes To Serve With Meatloaf?
While this Italian Meatloaf is in the oven, you can start whipping up a couple delicious side dishes. We’ve got all the sides you could want here, but we’ll start with some of a few of our favorite meatloaf sides.
And since this is an Italian Meatloaf, a side of penne alla vodka is always a good choice!
- Homemade Caesar Salad
- Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Roasted Broccoli
- Brown Butter Garlic Roasted Peas
- Air Fryer Zucchini
- The BEST Roasted Carrots
How To Store And Reheat Meatloaf
Meatloaf is a delicious leftover recipe. Some think the flavor of a meatloaf gets even better when reheated the next day!
Simply reheat a slice or two of meatloaf in the microwave until warmed through and the cheese has melted again.
To store leftover meatloaf, we recommend slicing the meatloaf before it goes into the refrigerator. Then store in an air tight container for up to 3 days.
Can You Freeze Meatloaf?
Yes! Meatloaf freezes beautifully, so it’s perfect for meal prepping. Again, we recommend slicing the meatloaf first, then wrapping each slice in plastic wrap and storing in a freezer bag.
Defrost a slice or two when needed in the refrigerator and then warm in the microwave or oven.
Love Meatloaf??? We’ve Got More Meatloaf Recipes For You!
- Rita Cracker Meatloaf
- Turkey Taco Meatloaf
- Classic Meatloaf Recipe
- Brown Gravy Meatloaf
- Chicken Cordon Blue Meatloaf
- BBQ Meatloaf Muffins
- Meatloaf Sandwich
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
This Italian Meatloaf recipe is sure to become a dinnertime favorite! A hearty, flavorful meatloaf topped with marinara sauce and lots of mozzarella cheese!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (we like to use an 85/20, the leaner the beef, the tougher the meatloaf will be)
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the olive oil to a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions to the skillet and cook, while stirring for 8-10 minutes until the onions have softened and caramelized. Add the garlic, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir the tomato paste into the onions and garlic and remove from the heat. Let the mixture cool.
- Place the ground beef and ground pork in a large bowl. Pour in the beaten eggs along with the salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese. Once cooled, add the onion and garlic mixture to the bowl and mix to combine the ingredients.
- Line a baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil. Form the meatloaf mixture in a 5″ x 9″ loaf. Bake for 45 minutes and then remove from the oven.
- Pour the marinara sauce over the top of the meatloaf, spreading to cover the meatloaf completely. Add the cheese to the top of the sauce and then bake for another 10 minutes.
- Test to make sure the meatloaf is cooked through in the center and no longer pink. Let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes, tented with non-stick aluminum foil.
- Garnish with fresh, chopped parsley if desired then slice and serve.
To Reheat: Reheat a slice or two of meatloaf in the microwave until warmed through and the cheese has melted again.
To Store: Store leftover meatloaf, we recommend slicing the meatloaf before it goes into the refrigerator. Then store in an air tight container for up to 3 days.
To Freeze: Let the meatloaf cool completely, then slice the meatloaf into individual servings. Wrap each slice in plastic wrap and store in a freezer bag. Defrost a slice or two when needed in the refrigerator and then warm in the microwave or oven.
Meatloaf Mix: You can also use 2 pounds of meatloaf mix for this Italian Meatloaf.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, italian meatloaf, comfort food recipes, ground beef recipes, make ahead meals, meatloaf recipes