This Brown Gravy Recipe is made from flavorful beef broth and seasonings, no drippings needed! A thick and creamy gravy made in just minutes!
We pour this gravy on so many things like our Brown Gravy Meatloaf which of course we serve with our creamy Mashed Potatoes. Both get the gravy. You can also use this brown gravy as a dipping sauce for things like French Fries or Chicken Nuggets!
An Easy, No Drippings Needed, Brown Gravy Recipe
But if you do have drippings…you can definitely use them. Don’t let them go to waste!
All you need to do is substitute the amount of drippings you have for the beef broth. For instance, if you have a cup of drippings then just use 2 cups of beef broth, etc.
What Can You Add To This Brown Gravy Recipe?
What Else Can I Add To This Gravy Recipe?
This simple gravy is perfect as is, but if you feel like using a little something extra, try these additions!
- Cooked onions and garlic in olive oil
- Fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme or parsley
- Beef drippings, skimmed of fat, if you have them
- A splash of heavy cream
All of these ingredients will make this brown gravy recipe even more flavorful, but use whatever you have on hand!
What Can You Use This Brown Gravy For?
We use this brown gravy on so many things like meatloaf, hot turkey sandwiches (a favorite of mine!) or piled on french fries with mozzarella cheese.
Those are called Disco Fries in case you’re not from Jersey…and they are a late night comfort food must.
Also try using this gravy in place of any jarred or packaged gravy in recipes like our Ground Beef Tater Tot Casserole.
Because you might not have a jar of packaged gravy but you probably have beef broth laying around.
Also you might be cooking a turkey breast or a chicken tonight? This brown gravy recipe goes perfectly with either of those, don’t worry about the fact that it has beef broth in it.
It’s as easy as that. So there you have it, the easiest gravy recipe ever!
Looking For More Gravy Recipes?Print
This versatile Brown Gravy Recipe can be used on so many things! Mashed potatoes, french fries, meatloaf, turkey or chicken!
- 3 cups beef stock or broth (can add in some meat drippings if you have them)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons beef base (We use Better Than Bouillon)
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of water mixed with 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Splash of heavy cream (optional)
- Add all the ingredients except the cornstarch and water mixture to a pot. Whisk together and bring to a boil.
- Pour in the cornstarch mixture while whisking to prevent any lumps.
- Bring the gravy back to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the cream if using, then serve.
This gravy can be made ahead and kept in your refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
The beef base is salty, so add salt at the end of the recipe to taste.
- Category: side dish, gravy
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gravy recipe, brown gravy recipe, beef broth gravy