These Cheesy Corned Beef Tater Tots are my favorite creation so far.
Corned beef is one of those dinners like turkey. We only eat once a year or so, even though we love it.
It seems like there’s always the same staple foods around the holidays- and I know there’s a reason for that, because the staples are good. Turkey at Thanksgiving, Ham or Beef Wellington at Christmas, corned beef for St. Patrick’s Day.
There are hundreds of recipes that you can look up for Christmas dinners or Thanksgiving dinners but there doesn’t seem to be that many variations for St. Patricks day so I wanted to create something unique that we could look forward to.
Corned beef always makes a lot, I think the last piece we bought was 15 pounds. I love it for the leftovers, but after a couple of meals you’re looking for something else to make besides a sandwich. That’s how I came up with these Cheesy Corned Beef Tater Tots.
I’ve been wanting to try homemade tater tots for a while. It just seems like they’d be so much better than the frozen kind -like most stuff is. So why not add some cheese and shredded corn beef to make them a meal?
I looked for the right type of cheese to use in these tots and I came up with a Kerrygold Irish Swiss. Swiss is often seen paired with corned beef in a reuben so I thought it would work well here too. I threw in some fontina cheese too because it melts so well.
These tater tots were a total success. I loved the way that the cheese blends in with the potatoes but doesn’t ooze out of the tater tot.
These Cheesy Corned Beef Tater Tots would also be great served for an appetizer. And they freeze really well, you can pull out a bag if company is coming over or just a few for a snack.
The possibilities for these tater tots are endless. You could do a cheesy mexican tot, or a ham and cheese tot, or maybe a philly cheesesteak tot?
I might have some more experimenting to do with this recipe…
Grate your potatoes and add your shredded cheese and corned beef.
Form them into “tot” shapes, or whatever shape you’d like them and line them up on a board while your oil is heating up.
Give them a 5 minutes fry in some vegetable oil, season with salt and you have Cheesy Corned Beef Tater Tots.
I served mine with a horseradish ketchup remoulade, but they’re delicious all on their own!
- 5 medium potatoes, grated and squeezed of excess water
- 1 c. corned beef, shredded or cut into a small dice
- 1 c. Kerrygold Swiss, grated
- 1 C. fontina, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 t. minced onion
- 1 t. paprkia
- 1 c. ketchup
- 1/4 c. mayonnaisse
- 1 T. horseradish
- 1/2 t. worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 t. salt
- a few grind of black pepper
- 1 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 1/3 t. pepper
- Heat a large deep pot with vegetable or canola oil.
- Place the grated cheese, corned beef and the shredded potatoes in a large bowl. Make sure you squeeze out all the excess water from the potatoes before you add them into the bowl or the tots will be too soggy.
- Add in the egg and the seasoning and mix well.
- Form the mixture into "tots" about 2-3 inches big. You should have about 30 tater tots when you're done, but you can make them smaller if you'd like.
- Once the oil is about 375 degrees, add in the tater tots a few at a time (depending on the size of your pot, just don't crowd them too much)
- Fry for about 5-7 minutes, until they get golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels and season right away with coarse salt.
- Add all the ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine.