When we say this is the Best Egg Salad Recipe, we don’t take that lightly! First you have to start with perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs, then mix them up with simple flavors and a little bit of crunch!
Love a simple lunch recipe? Also check out our Crab Salad Slider recipe and this easy Chicken Caesar Bruschetta!
How To Make The BEST Egg Salad!
You have to start with perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs, and yep, there’s a trick to that. First of all, you definitely want bright yellow yolks without that greenish rim that can sometimes happen.
Secondly, you want hard boiled eggs that you can actually get the shells off of without destroying the white of the eggs. We’ve got you. Grab yourself this Dash Rapid Egg Cooker on Amazon, it’s only about 15 bucks!
What this inexpensive, powerhouse of a kitchen tool does is steam the eggs to your liking from a hard boil to a soft boil, and the shells literally peel right off.
Before cooking the eggs, pierce the bottom of the shell with a small needle that comes with the measuring cup. This allows the steam to get inside the egg shell, making it super easy to peel.
Look at how perfect those yolks are, no green ring! We like a rough chop on our eggs so that the egg salad has some texture instead of a soft, mushy egg salad.
Don’t know how else to describe that, but you guys know what I mean.
Ingredients For Making An Egg Salad Recipe
We like to keep our egg salad simple, but you can amp up the flavors however you like! We’ll get to that a little more down below. For this recipe, we’re only using 5 ingredients!
- Mayonnaise: Any mayonnaise will do; we had Kewpie mayo on hand so that’s what we used in this egg salad. But your favorite brand is fine, even a low fat mayonnaise will work.
- Dijon Mustard: Dijon adds a mustard flavor with just a touch of spice that’s perfect for an egg salad recipe! Other types of mustard like brown or spicy will also work – even plain old yellow mustard – but dijon adds the best flavor in our opinion.
- Pickle Relish: Sweet pickle relish will give you that sweet and spicy combo that we all love, without being too overpowering. If you’re not a pickle fan just leave the relish out!
- Chives: Chives have a very mild onion flavor, which we think is perfect for making egg salad so that it doesn’t over power the flavor of the eggs.
- Celery: For a little bit of crunch and texture, celery is the perfect addition!
What Other Flavors Can You Add To An Egg Salad Recipe?
Now that we’ve got the ingredients for the BEST Egg Salad down, let’s get into some fun and tasty variations!
- Different Onion Options: Scallions, red onion, pickled red onion or yellow onion
- Spice it Up! Add sriracha, hot sauce, buffalo wing sauce or cayenne pepper
- Different Herbs: Dill, parsley, thyme, tarragon
- Add-Ins: Capers, chopped bacon, minced garlic, celery seed, lemon juice
How Do You Serve Egg Salad?
The classic way to serve egg salad is on white bread, just like mom used to make. We love eating egg salad that way too but there are some other options. Grab your favorite crackers and pile that egg salad right on top.
Using crackers is a fun way to serve this lunch recipe for kids, but it’s also a great way to turn egg salad into an appetizer! Grab a bottle of wine and some fancy crackers and you’re good to go!
Tips For Storing Egg Salad
A couple of tips for keeping your egg salad fresh! Keep it tightly wrapped, or even better in a covered container. As delicious as egg salad is, it does give off a little bit of a funky egg smell, so if you want to avoid that just keep it tightly covered or wrapped.
Before serving, give the egg salad a stir again to blend it all back together.
How Long Does Egg Salad Stay Good In The Refrigerator?
Egg Salad does keep well in the refrigerator for up to 5 days! So that makes it perfect for meal prepping during the week to have an easy snack, dinner or lunch on hand.
Just follow our tips above for storing egg salad and you can enjoy it all week long.
Looking For More Easy Recipes?
- Classic Deviled Eggs
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Eggs
- Easy Chicken Stew
- 15 Minute Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti
Best Egg Salad Recipe
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
Serve this Egg Salad Recipe on your favorite bread for a sandwich or with crackers for a light meal or snack! Creamy, rich, perfectly seasoned egg salad is always a hit!
- 8 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped (see note*)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (regular or low fat)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on your taste
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix together.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust if needed.
- Chill the egg salad for 1 hour before serving, if possible, to let the flavors combine.
To Store Egg Salad: Keep the egg salad tightly wrapped, or even better in a covered container. As delicious as egg salad is, it does give off a little bit of a funky egg smell, so if you want to avoid that just keep it tightly covered or wrapped. Before serving, give the egg salad a stir again to blend it all back together. This salad will stay fresh in your refrigerator for up to five days.
Make Easy To Peel Hard Boiled Eggs: If you don’t have the DASH rapid egg cooker (link in post), add eggs to a pot with cold water, bring to a boil and then cover the pot and remove from the heat. Let the eggs sit for 12 minutes and then drain and rinse with cold water.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stir
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Mantitlement, how to make hard boiled eggs, egg salad recipe, best egg salad, leftover recipes, easy recipes, lunch recipes, appetizer ideas, low carb recipes