This Easy Apple Crisp Recipe only takes a few minutes to get into the oven! Perfectly tender apples topped with a TON of sweet crumb topping!
An Apple Crisp Recipe With A Kick!
So what’s your favorite? Apple pie or apple crisp? It’s all about the crust really, because the apple filling is the basically the same.
Of course we love both apple pie and apple crisp but there’s just something about that sweet crumb topping mixed in with ice cream that can’t be beat. Especially when you make this apple crisp recipe that has a splash of apple liquor to bring out those sweet apple flavors.
I promise you, it’s not a lot of liquor, just a little but it does make a difference in the flavor.
How To Make The Best Apple Crisp!
There’s a few different factors, in my opinion for making the best apple crisp. Follow along here and I promise this apple crisp will be your new go to recipe!
First of all, let’s talk about the apples. I love using a tart apple like granny smith apples because you’re adding a lot of sugar to the apples and you want that perfect balance of tart and sweet flavor.
The Best Apples For Making Apple Crisp:
- Granny Smith
- Golden Delicious
- Pink Lady
It’s All About The Crumb Topping!
The next thing you have to do to make the best apple crisp is to make sure there’s a lot of crumb topping. Because it’s really all about the crumb topping, am I right?
Our crumb topping for this apple crisp recipe is a combination of brown sugar, rolled oats, butter and cinnamon. Once you get the topping smushed together with the butter (that’s a technical term right there) you can pile it on top of your apple crisp filling.
The Perfect Amount Of Juice
Have you ever had an apple pie or an apple crisp that has tons of juice pouring out of it? Or on the other hand, it’s so dry that there’s hardly any juice?
This is another key factor to making the best apple dessert. There has to be just the right amount of liquid in your filling, and the liquid should be slightly thick, not runny.
We made this apple crisp recipe over and over to get the right amount of apple ratio to topping ratio to liquid ratio. And we really think this one is perfect!
Finally, there’s the cold vanilla ice cream that you can serve with this warm crisp. This apple crisp recipe is the ultimate fall dessert!
Looking For More Easy Dessert Recipes?Print
This apple crisp recipe is our absolute favorite! Tons of crumb topping, tart apples and a delicious sauce go perfect with a scoop of ice cream!
For the Filling:
- 8 granny smith apples, peeled and cored (you’ll need 2 1/2 pounds total)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple brandy (like Lairds Applejack)
For the Topping:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 stick of cold butter, cubed plus 2 tablespoons for the top of the crisp
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the apples into thick slices (about 1/2″) and place them into a large bowl.
- Add the white and brown sugars, salt, cinnamon, ginger, lemon juice and brandy to the apples and stir well to coat.
- Butter an 8″ x 10″ 2 quart baking dish or a 9″ x 13″ baking dish, approximately 3 quarts capacity. Add the apple filling to the dish and spread into an even layer.
- Add all the topping ingredients (except for the 2 extra tablespoons of butter) to a medium bowl. Using two forks or a pastry cutter, blend the ingredients together until the butter is down to small pieces the size of a pea.
- Pour the crumb topping on top of the apples spreading out to cover the surface of the apples. Dot the top of the crispy with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the top of the crisp is brown. A deeper baking dish will take longer to cook than a more shallow dish.
- Serve with ice cream or eat as is!
If you don’t want to use the apple brandy, you can substitute apple juice or cider, orange juice or even a clear soda like 7UP or Sprite!
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy apple crisp, apple crisp recipe, apple dessert, a la mode, dessert recipes, best apple crisp