Spicy Penne Arrabbiata is easy to make with just a few, quality ingredients! Make this pasta as spicy as you like, or keep it mild for the kids!
We love making classic pasta dishes at home! Be sure and try our delicious Penne Vodka recipe that’s so easy your kids can make it! Also check our this drool-worthy Pasta Carbonara for Sunday dinner or a date night at home!
What Is Arrabbiata Sauce?
Arrabbiata sauce is an easy to make, spicy red sauce made from tomatoes, garlic and chili peppers. Arrabbiata means angry in Italian, so you can make the sauce for this Penne Arrabbiata as “angry” or as mild as you like.
If you don’t have dried chilis you can use crushed red pepper flakes like we use in this Penne Arrabbiata recipe. Also, most of the recipes that we looked at called for whole tomatoes that you break down or crush with your hands or a spoon, you can go that route or just use canned crushed tomatoes like we did here.
There’s not going to be much of a flavor difference, it’s more of a texture thing. Using whole tomatoes that you crush will yield a chunkier sauce and canned crushed tomatoes will yield a smoother sauce. So it’s up to you which route you take!
Classic Arrabbiata Sauce Ingredients
Of course there are many variations to arrabbiata sauce, just like the few we mentioned above. You could add cream to arrabbiata sauce, peas, bacon, or other meats like sausage. Basically you can make arrabbiata sauce as a base, eat as is or enjoy with other add ins!
- Whole or Crushed Tomatoes: As we mentioned before, whole tomatoes are the more classic route for making arrabbiata sauce, but if canned crushed tomatoes are what you have on hand, that’s going to work fine!
- Garlic: Fresh garlic only please! When you have a recipe with just a few ingredients like this one, you want to make sure they are all the best quality.
- Onion: Sweet, yellow onions add tons of flavor to this spicy sauce.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes: Start with a teaspoon and then add more if you like it spicy. We usually make this with 2 teaspoons because our kids don’t mind a little heat, but you can always add more you can’t take it away.
How To Make Arrabbiata Sauce
This simple pasta sauce starts by cooking onions down in olive oil and butter and then adding garlic and the crushed red pepper flakes to toast in the oil. Next pour in the tomatoes and seasonings and then let simmer for 30 minutes.
That’s all folks, this homemade arrabbiata sauce can’t get much easier! Simmering the sauce for at least 30 minutes will help to blend the flavors together, so if you have the extra time don’t skip this step!
Toss the sauce with cooked penne pasta and shreds of fresh basil for garnish. Add grated or shredded parmesan cheese on top and dinner is served.
What Is The Best Pasta To Serve With Arrabbiata?
We like serving penne with our arrabbiata sauce but you can obviously use any pasta shape you have. Any short tube pasta like penne is great, even long noodles like spaghetti will work. Traditionally, arrabbiata is served with penne so we tend to stick to that – unless we’re out of penne then we use whatever we have!
How To Store and Reheat Leftover Sauce
Store this pasta sauce in a container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. After that this sauce can be easily frozen for a few months in either the same container or a sealable freezer bag, squeezed flat with most of the air out.
Reheating this sauce is as easy as gently warming it up in a pot on the stove or microwaving it (stirring often) until warmed through. Do make this sauce in large batches if you’re planning on a day in the kitchen! It’s so easy to make you might as well double the recipe and freeze some sauce for another meal!
What To Serve With Penne Arrabbiata
Serve this spicy pasta recipe with with a couple of sides to make a complete dinner!
- Garlic Bread or this super delicious Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Homemade Caesar Salad
- Oven Roasted Balsamic Asparagus
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
- Grandma’s Stuffed Artichokes
- Grandma’s Sunday Meatballs
Penne with Homemade Arrabbiata Sauce is one of our favorite pasta dishes to make at home! So easy to make with just a few simple ingredients, and you can make it as spicy or as mild as you like!
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1–3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you want the sauce to be)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- Grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil for garnish
- Add the butter and oil to a dutch oven or medium sized pot. Cook the onions over medium heat until softened and slightly browned, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and stir into the onions. Cook for 1 minute, then carefully pour in the tomato sauce and stir.
- Season the sauce with the oregano, salt and pepper. Stir in the water, partially cover and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the penne according to package directions, drain and set aside until the sauce is ready.
- Toss the sauce with the penne, you won’t use all of the sauce so add a couple of cups at a time and toss before adding more.
- Garnish with fresh parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: arrabbiata sauce, penne arrabbiata, pasta sauce recipe, homemade pasta sauce, spicy pasta sauce, easy recipes