This spicy pasta sauce is one of our favorites to make at home! Not only is it super simple but it only takes a few ingredients to make it!
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1–3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you want the sauce to be)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- Grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil for garnish
- Add the butter and oil to a dutch oven or medium sized pot. Cook the onions over medium heat until softened and slightly browned, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and stir into the onions. Cook for 1 minute, then carefully pour in the tomato sauce and stir.
- Season the sauce with the oregano, salt and pepper. Stir in the water, partially cover and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the penne according to package directions, drain and set aside until the sauce is ready.
- Toss the sauce with the penne, you won’t use all of the sauce so add a couple of cups at a time and toss before adding more.
- Garnish with fresh parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: arrabbiata sauce, penne arrabbiata, pasta sauce recipe, homemade pasta sauce