Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff is a delicious, comforting dinner that the whole family loves! Ground beef makes this recipe easy for weeknights!
An Easy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Yep, it’s a whole thing you guys. And if you haven’t tried it yet, now is the time.
What makes this The Best Ground Beef Stroganoff isn’t just using the ground beef, though. It’s also the best because it’s easy to make, and you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone that doesn’t love it.
Traditional beef stroganoff recipes are made with cubes of beef, or strips of beef if you prefer that are tossed in flour and browned. The flour helps to thicken the sauce along with a few dollops of sour cream at the end.
Even if you think you don’t like sour cream, you still need to make beef stroganoff. Because I don’t like sour cream – but I love beef stroganoff…
Sour cream adds a tanginess to the sauce and also helps to thicken it up. There’s just something about the flavor that sour cream adds to a beef stroganoff recipe that you really can’t replace!
Tips For Making The BEST Beef Stroganoff
First of all, beef stroganoff is more than just beef. It’s really a beef and mushrooms dish so let’s talk for a minute here about the mushrooms.
You can use white mushrooms or brown button mushrooms – doesn’t matter. What does matter is how you cook them. For mushrooms to have their best flavor, they need to be browned properly and that does take a few minutes.
Just about 10 minutes is all you’ll need to get the perfect color and flavor…
Now let’s talk about the beef. Since this is a ground beef recipe, obviously we are using ground beef. Try and grab about an 85% lean ground beef here, not too lean but not too fatty either.
When you are browning the beef, don’t break it up really small like you might do in other ground beef recipes. We want some larger and smaller pieces here to give it some texture like you see in these pictures.
If you like you can also substitute ground turkey, pork or chicken in this recipe if you’re looking so save some calories. Ground beef is going to give this recipe the best flavor possible, and if you use a lean ground beef the calories aren’t that much different.
What Can I Serve With Beef Stroganoff?
Not that this recipe isn’t good enough all on it’s own, but we know you’ll want a side dish for sopping up all that creamy, mouth watering sauce…
- Perfectly Smooth Mashed Potatoes
- Spicy Mushroom Rice
- Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Cauliflower Rice (For a low carb dinner!)
Any of those side dishes or just a salad or roasted vegetables will be delicious with this recipe! You can make it as mush of a comfort food recipe as you want, or a super tasty lower carb dinner!
Looking For More Ground Beef Recipes?
We have a whole list! We love cooking with ground beef so much that we made an entire collection of our favorite recipes for you to check out!Print
This beef stroganoff recipe uses ground beef to make it even easier to make! Serve with noodles or potatoes or as is for a low carb dinner!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (start with a teaspoon and add more in the end if needed)
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Add the the butter to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the mushrooms for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned and all the water has evaporated. Remove the mushrooms from the skillet to a bowl and cover with foil.
- Add the oil to the skillet along with the ground beef and onions, browning the beef while still leaving some larger pieces for texture. Once the beef is browned, tilt the skillet and drain the drippings.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper to the skillet. Stir and cook for 1 minute, then pour in the Worcestershire sauce.
- Sprinkle the flour into the skillet and stir to mix in with the beef. Let the flour cook out for 1 minute and then pour in the beef broth. Bring the broth to a boil then turn the heat down to simmer for 7-8 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened, turn the heat off and stir in the sour cream. Taste for seasonings and serve with chopped parsley for garnish if desired.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: beef stroganoff, ground beef recipes, easy dinner recipes, dinner ideas, make ahead meals, beef recipes, low carb dinner recipes