Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff is a delicious, comforting dinner that the whole family loves! Ground beef and browned mushrooms in creamy brown sauce spooned over noodles. Guaranteed empty plates all around!
Why You’ll Love This Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe
What makes this Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff one of our favorite easy dinner recipes isn’t just the flavor. Using ground beef instead of sliced steak makes this dinner a breeze to make. We always seem to have ground beef on hand for making delicious meals like this one.
Traditional beef stroganoff is made with strips of thinly sliced steak, also equally delicious. But steak can be a little more expensive than ground beef, so this recipe is not only an easier option to make but it’s easier on the wallet.
- Affordable Ingredients – Since we’re using ground beef instead of steak, this recipe is often way more affordable to make.
- Easy To Make – This dinner is done in just about 30 minutes, so getting dinner on the table just got easier.
- Delicious Flavor – A perfect, deep sear on the mushrooms gives this dish a comforting, all day long cooked type feel. Paired with ground beef and a creamy gravy to complete the feel.
- Adaptable – Swap out the ground beef for ground turkey, ground pork or even ground chicken. Add more vegetables like spinach, cabbage, chopped broccoli or peas.
Ingredients You’ll Need
We’ll go over the basic ingredients for this recipe here, but for a complete list of ingredients and amounts scroll down to the recipe card below.
- Ground Beef: Good quality ground beef that’s the best price you can find. Wjile we do prefer an 85% lean ground beef, you can use what you have on hand.
- Mushrooms: Brown button mushrooms are preferred, but white mushrooms will also work.
- Onions/Garlic: Aromatics for flavor. Measure garlic with your heart.
- Worcestershire Sauce: For that certain “beefy” depth of flavor.
- Beef Broth/Stock: Do grab the best quality stock you can find, or use homemade if possible.
- Flour: Used to thicken the sauce.
- Sour Cream: To thicken the sauce even more, but also adds a tangy, creamy flavor.
How To Make Ground Beef Stroganoff
Sometimes we stir egg noodles right into the skillet and sometimes we keep it separate, spooning the ground beef and mushrooms on top. We’ll get into why we do that a little later in the post, but for now let’s get into the recipe!
- Brown The Mushrooms: Do NOT skimp on this step. Properly browning the mushrooms adds so much flavor to this recipe. It does take a few minutes to let the water release from the mushrooms and get a good sear, but it’s worth it.
- Brown The Ground Beef And Onions: Add the oil to the skillet along with the ground beef and onions, browning the beef while still leaving some larger pieces for texture. Once the beef is browned, drain the drippings and then add the seasonings.
- Add Flour And Beef Broth: Sprinkle the flour into the skillet and stir to mix in with the beef. Let the flour cook out for 1 minute and then pour in the beef broth. Bring the broth to a boil then turn the heat down to simmer for 7-8 minutes.
- Add Sour Cream: Once the sauce has thickened, turn the heat off and stir in the sour cream. Taste for seasonings and serve with chopped parsley for garnish if desired.
Tips For Success!
- LET’S TALK ABOUT THE MUSHROOMS: You can use white mushrooms or brown button mushrooms, both will work, what matters is how you cook them. For the mushrooms to have their best flavor, they need to be browned properly for 8-10 minutes.
- LET’S TALK ABOUT THE GROUND BEEF: We like to use an 85% lean ground beef here, not too lean but not too fatty either. You need some fat for flavor, and we are draining the drippings from the skillet so there won’t be a greasy feel to the sauce.
- PRO COOKING TIP: When you are browning the beef, don’t break it up really small like you might do in other ground beef recipes. We want some larger and smaller pieces here to give it some texture like you see in these pictures.
- LET’S TALK ABOUT SUBSTITUTIONS: If you like you can also substitute ground turkey, pork or chicken in this recipe. Ground beef is going to give this recipe the best flavor possible – ground turkey would be our second option.
How Do You Serve Beef Stroganoff?
There’s two ways that we like to serve this ground beef recipe. If we’re all sitting down to dinner (it’s rare but it does happen sometimes) we’ll stir the noodles right into the skillet. This method adds a lot of flavor to the dish, letting the noodles soak up some of the flavorful sauce.
However, if we aren’t all eating together or we’re meal prepping this dinner for the week, we’ll keep the noodles separate. The noodles will soak up a lot of the sauce as it sits in the refrigerator, so if you’re looking for a saucy dish, keep the pasta separate.
What Can I Serve On The Side?
Not that this recipe isn’t good enough all on it’s own, but we know you’ll want a side dish for sopping up all that creamy, mouth watering sauce. And we do feel like this recipe has it all, protein, carbs and vegetables so we consider it a one and done dinner.
But we’re all about a side dish or two as well! Here’s some of our favorite options.
- Air Fryer Frozen Broccoli, simple Steamed Broccoli in the microwave or this Garlic Roasted Broccoli
- Cheesy Garlic Bread, Mushroom and Thyme Cheese Bread or a Sweet Cornbread
- Creamy Caesar Salad, Escarole Salad with Bacon or one of my favorites, this Maple Arugula Salad
- Cauliflower Rice or Spaghetti Squash for a low carb dinner
- Air Fryer Zucchini, Air Fryer Asparagus or Air Fryer Green Beans
Store And Reheat
If you have made the ground beef stroganoff separate from the noodles, store the ground beef mixture in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. Store the noodles separately in another container.
Or if you combined the noodles and ground beef together, simply store in an air tight container for up to four days in the refrigerator.
To reheat, warm the stroganoff and noodles in the microwave until warmed through.
Looking For More Ground Beef Recipes?
We have a whole list! We love cooking with ground beef so much that we made an entire collection of our favorite recipes for you to check out!
And we’ve made some new recipes since that post for you to check out, too!Print
Make our Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff for a comfort food dinner any night of the week! Creamy beef and mushrooms spooned over egg noodles.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (start with a teaspoon and add more in the end if needed)
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 12 ounce bag egg noodles
- Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Add the the butter to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the mushrooms for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned and all the water has evaporated. Remove the mushrooms from the skillet to a bowl and cover with foil.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, start a pot of water to boil for the noodles. Cook the noodles according to the package directions, drain and set aside.
- Add the oil to the skillet along with the ground beef and onions, browning the beef while still leaving some larger pieces for texture. Once the beef is browned, tilt the skillet and drain the drippings.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper to the skillet. Stir and cook for 1 minute, then pour in the Worcestershire sauce.
- Sprinkle the flour into the skillet and stir to mix in with the beef. Let the flour cook out for 1 minute and then pour in the beef broth. Bring the broth to a boil then turn the heat down to simmer for 7-8 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened, turn the heat off and stir in the sour cream. Stir the cooked egg noodles into the ground beef mixture, adding about half of the noodles to start with, then adding more if you like. Alternately: Add a portion of the noodles to a plate and spoon the ground beef and mushroom mixture on top.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: ground beef stroganoff, ground beef recipes, easy dinner recipes, dinner ideas, make ahead meals, beef recipes, low carb dinner recipes