This Sweet Cornbread Recipe is a family favorite! Our boys love eating this cornbread with lots of butter or extra honey drizzled on top!
As delicious as this cornbread is on its own, we love serving it with everything from our Favorite Chili Recipe to our holiday Glazed Ham. This cornbread recipe is so super moist, and sweeter than most, which is probably why our boys love it so much!
A Sweet, Moist Cornbread Recipe
Tender? Not dry? Sometimes you just have to break out the word moist because it’s honestly the best way to describe this cornbread. This Sweet Cornbread Recipe is almost good enough to qualify as a desert, and it certainly can be if you want it to be.
But we also love serving this cornbread recipe with our chili or soup recipes, as a side to steak or chicken or even with our holiday meals like glazed ham or roasted turkey.
Cornbread is so versatile, you can really swap it out for any type of dinner rolls that you’d be serving with most meals. But the best thing about this cornbread is how it tastes, I promise that you’re going to love it!
How Do You Make Cornbread?
Homemade cornbread is actually super easy to make. Start to finish it should take you less than 10 minutes to get this into the oven, and just another 30 to bake. Make sure to start with plain cornmeal, not a boxed mix or a self rising cornmeal that has baking soda already added to it.
Add the cornmeal, along with flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in one bowl. In another bowl you’re going to mix melted butter, buttermilk, an egg, white sugar, brown sugar and honey.
his is your “wet ingredient” bowl that you’re going to pour over the “dry ingredient” bowl.
Once those are mixed together, pour the batter into a square 8″ x 8″ or 9″ x 9″ baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cornbread.
Let the cornbread cool slightly and then cut into squares and top with a pat or two of butter.
What Can I Serve This Cornbread Recipe With?
Like we mentioned before, chili is a favorite dinner recipe to serve with cornbread but there’s so many more options! We’ll list a few here including some regular dinner options and holiday meals.
- Brown Butter Baked Ham
- Whole Roasted Turkey
- Simple Roast Chicken
- Crispy Baked Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Crock Pot Root Beer Chicken
Can You Freeze Cornbread?
Yes! Cut any leftover cornbread into squares, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and freeze in a container or a plastic freezer bag. That the cornbread at room temperature and eat as is or warm in the oven.
Sometimes we even warm a few pieces up in a skillet with butter to get those crispy, brown edges! This Sweet Cornbread Recipe is also a great gift to give around the holidays.
Bake up a few batches, freeze and thaw when needed!
What Can You Add In This Cornbread Recipe?
Although this cornbread is pretty perfect on its own, you can add lots of different ingredients to make it your own!
- Cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- One can of diced green chilis
- Diced green pepper or jalapeño
- Cooked, chopped bacon
- 1 cup canned corn, or defrosted frozen corn
Looking For More Side Dish Recipes?
- Rice Pilaf with Cranberries and Almonds
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Peas and Bacon
- Roasted Peas with Garlic
- Steakhouse Creamed Spinach
- Homemade Bourbon Applesauce
This Sweet Cornbread Recipe is a family favorite! We love serving this cornbread with spicy chili or our holiday ham!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9″ x 9″ baking pan with butter and set aside.
- Add the cornmeal, flour, baking soda and salt to a large bowl and whisk together to combine. To another bowl, add the melted butter, both brown and white sugars, the honey, egg and buttermilk. Whisk together until smooth and then pour over the dry ingredients in the first bowl. Whisk together, making sure all the dry ingredients are combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and smooth out the top. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Use a toothpick to test the center of the cornbread to see if it comes out clean, then remove from the oven.
- Let the cornbread cool and then cut into squares. Top with butter and serve!
You can use an 8″ x 8″ pan, too. The cooking time might vary a few minutes, just check the center with a toothpick until it comes out clean!
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, cornbread recipe, sweet cornbread, thanksgiving sides, holiday sides, easy recipes