This Hamburger Patty Recipe makes dinner a breeze! Just a few simple ingredients is all you need to make these juicy, delicious homemade hamburgers.
Because who doesn’t love a good burger on the grill. No grill? No problem. Cook these hamburgers in a skillet on top of the stove, or even under the broiler.
Easy Hamburger Patty Recipe
We’ve tried lots and lots (and lots) of store made hamburger patties and we really haven’t found a favorite yet.
Our absolute favorite hamburgers come from a butcher shop that we love but it’s about 30 minutes from our house so we don’t get there very often.
So we buckled down and decided to make our own Hamburger Patty Recipe that taste like our favorite burgers that we get from the butcher.
These hamburgers turn out so juicy and so tasty, just wait until you try them.
How Do You Make Homemade Hamburgers?
First of all, PLEASE don’t put breadcrumbs and eggs into your homemade hamburger patties. We’re not making meatloaf, we’re making burgers.
If you’re scrolling through recipe for hamburgers and see breadcrumbs and eggs – move along. Check out our Brown Gravy Meatloaf Recipe if you’re looking to make meatloaf.
We like to keep our burgers in the purest form. To add more flavor or to kick up these hamburgers, add all the toppings that you like. We’ll get into more topping ideas down below in the post.
- Start by adding ground beef to a bowl along with salt, pepper, Worcestershire Sauce and steak seasoning. Form into 4 round patties and then use your thumbs to make an indentation in the center as shown below.
- PRO TIP: The indentation in the center helps to keep the hamburgs flat when they are grilling, so don’t skip this step!
- Grill the hamburgers for 4 minutes on each side over medium heat (about 425 degrees) for medium to medium rare burgers.
- If you like your hamburger patties cooked through more just add a minute or two on each side to the cooking time.
What Kind Of Beef Is Best For Making Homemade Hamburgers?
You need some fat to make a good burger, so this isn’t the time to pull out the super lean ground beef. Start with an 80% to an 85% ground beef and find the best quality beef that you can.
You’re never going to go wrong grabbing ground beef from a butcher shop, but if the grocery store is your only option just look for the best quality that you can find there.
Angus or Prime is often what you might see on a ground beef label, and these are both good choices. “Choice” is a lower quality ground beef so try and skip that option.
A trick that some people use to flavor their homemade hamburger patties even more is to add a little ground pork into the mixture. Doing this makes the patties even more juicy and almost gives a bacon flavor to the hamburgers.
Can You Freeze Hamburger Patties?
Yes! Make a whole bunch of these hamburgers and freeze them for an easy meal! Just lay them flat in a resealable bag so that they aren’t touching. This makes it’s easier to pull out one, or however many burgers you need to cook at a time.
I’m not a big fan of cooking frozen hamburgers on the grill, so my suggestion is to let them defrost in the refrigerator overnight or you can defrost them in the microwave for a quicker solution.
What To Serve With Burgers Besides Fries?
Of course everyone loves french fries, so we know they go hand and hang with this hamburger patty recipe. But if you’re looking for some other side dish options for burgers, we’ve got a buch here for you to try!
- Red Skinned Mashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Slow Cooker Baked Beans
- Corn on the Cob on the Grill
Topping Ideas For Hamburgers
Here’s where we like to get creative. Maybe you’re a purist, like I am. Maybe for you it’s just the hamburger patty, cheese and a bun. You do you.
But if you’re looking for more burger topping ideas, we’ve got you covered!
- Tomato slices
- Red or Yellow Onion Slices
- Cheese (American, cheddar, Swiss, mozzarella)
- Caramelized Onions
- Fried Egg
Looking For More Hamburger Recipes?
- BBQ Bang Bang Burger
- Whiskey Burger
- French Onion Cheeseburger
- Easy Juicy Turkey Burgers
- Hamburger Patties in Lettuce Wraps
This Hamburger Patty recipe taste just like it came from your favorite burger place! Super juicy burgers made with just a few simple ingredients!
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (we like to use 80% – 85% ground beef)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix together lightly with your hands. Don’t mix or squeeze the meat too much as it will result in a tougher hamburger patty.
- Preheat the grill to 425 degrees.
- Form the hamburger meat into 4 round patties and then use your thumbs to make a well in the center of each patty.
- Grill the hamburgers for 4 minutes on each side for medium to medium rare. If you like your hamburgers more cooked through just add a minute of two to the cooking time on each side.
- Remove the hamburgers from the grill to a plate and cover with foil for 5 minutes. We like to add our cheese at this time as the heat from the hamburgers will melt the cheese instead of doing it on the grill.
- Serve the hamburgers on hamburger buns with your toppings of choice.
To Freeze: Form the hamburger patties and place them into resealable freezer bags in a single layer, not touching the patties together. This way it will be easy to take one or as many out as you need, then defrost and grill.
Stove Top Method: Cook the hamburger patties in a skillet or on a griddle pan on the stove top. Add butter or oil to the pan over medium-hight heat. Cook the burger patties for 4-5 minutes on each side until the desired temperature is reached.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American