These Ground Beef Tacos are a must-have recipe for any taco lover! These tacos start off with a base of lean ground sirloin that’s flavored with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and oregano. This taco recipe doesn’t take long to prepare and will become a favorite for taco night. Give this beef taco recipe a try and you won’t be disappointed!
15 Minute, Homemade Taco Recipe
There’s not many people I know that don’t love a good taco and these Ground Beef Tacos will not disappoint! When time is of the essence and dinner needs to get on the table fast, you need a recipe in your back pocket like this homemade taco meat.
Top these ground beef tacos with your favorite taco toppings, or keep it simple with just the beef filling, lettuce and cheese. Any way you prepare these tacos is going to be a winner.
Easy Homemade Taco Meat Recipe
Most of the time you buy the taco kit at the grocery store, right? Brown up the beef and add that taco seasoning and a little water. Totally fine, we used to do it all the time too.
But when you want tacos and don’t have that little taco seasoning packet? Never fear, you can make homemade taco meat yourself, and it’s SO much better. All you need are a few seasonings, some tomato sauce and about 15 minutes.
This taco meat recipe is also super adaptable. Try making it with ground turkey or pork, or even ground chicken! You can add beans right to the taco meat, too and make it a whole meal in itself for a low carb option.
Taco Meat Isn’t Just For Tacos!
Now, of course you can use homemade taco meat to make these delicious Ground Beef Tacos, but you can use taco meat to make so many different recipes, too!
- Make a taco bowl with rice, beans and toppings
- Fill a soft shell tortilla for enchiladas or a quick snack
- Use taco meat to make beef nachos
- Use homemade taco meat to make a “taco” sloppy joe sandwich
- Make a low carb dinner with taco meat, shredded lettuce, avocado and cheese
- If there’s taco meat in our refrigerator it usually doesn’t last long. Our boys will scoop it up with tortilla chips or eat it right out of the bowl.
Taco Topping Ideas:
- Avocados or guacamole
- Shredded lettuce
- Cheese, almost any kind you like will work!
- Diced tomatoes or pico de gallo
- Sour Cream
- Pickled jalapeños
There’s so many toppings for tacos, this is a short list. The list goes on. Get creative and set out a taco bar for the kids, or for the next game day or party.
All you need to do is make sure you have a giant bowl of this ground beef taco meat and the rest just comes together. You’ll be surprised at what your kids grab to throw on a taco when it’s all out in front of them!
Looking For More Easy Dinner Recipes?
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken
- Classic Meatloaf Recipe
- Sheet Pan Chicken Murphy
- Beefy Tomato Soup
- Air Fryer Ranch Chicken Nuggets (oven instructions too!)
This Ground Beef Taco recipe eliminates those dry seasoning packets from the store! Done in less than 15 minutes, this taco meat is sure to become a family favorite recipe!
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray then add the beef over medium heat.
- Brown the beef until cooked through, then drain and return to the skillet.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, tomato sauce to the beef and stir to combine,
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve in taco shells and top with desired toppings.
This recipe makes about 4 cups of taco meat. We find that about 1/4 cup of meat is good per taco so this recipe will make about 16 tacos!
8 – 1/2 cup servings, or 16 – 1/4 cup servings
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: taco recipe, beef tacos, homemade tacos, taco meat, ground beef recipe, easy dinner recipe