This Hot Roast Beef Sandwich is a delicious dinner hack for getting a hot meal on the table in no time! We’re kicking up regular roast beef right from the deli to make this comfort food meal, and I promise you, everyone is going to love them.
Hot Roast Beef Sandwich (Quick French Dip!)
But we are busy people and we need recipes for busy nights and this Hot Roast Beef Sandwich is one of our new favorites!
Instead of making a beef roast in the slow cooker or your crock pot, we’re using sliced roast beef right from the deli!
There’s a few recipe hacks that we have to make regular roast beef taste unbelievably delicious in these roast beef sandwiches, and it’s only going to take you 15 minutes!
How To Make A Hot Roast Beef Sandwich
All you need to do is get a good quality, sliced roast beef from your deli counter. Make sure the roast beef is on the rarer side because it will cook slightly in these sandwiches.
Next get a few sub rolls or hoagie rolls that will stand up to a dipping in a quick au jus. I don’t recommend hot dog buns because they are too soft, but any kind of sub roll with work.
Toast the rolls in a toaster oven or under the broiler until slightly browned and then melt mozzarella cheese right onto the buns, top and bottom.
Here’s the next trick to making these roast beef sandwiches even better. Season the roast beef with a sprinkle of steak seasoning to give it some flavor.
We’re trying to mimic that low and slow roast beef flavor so adding your favorite steak seasoning will do the trick!
The next hack to making these beef sandwiches is that we’re going to take a pile of that roast beef and dip it right into a homemade au jus before adding it to the toasted sub rolls.
Not only does it warm up the roast beef (which if it’s thinly sliced will happen very quickly) but it flavors the roast beef before adding it to the sandwich.
All that’s left to do is serve and dip. Our boys go absolutely crazy for these cheesy beef sandwiches, and the best part is that we don’t need all day to make them!
More Sandwich Hacks!
Besides being one of the easiest dinners we can bring you already, there’s even more swap outs for getting these Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches on the table.
Instead of making the quick, homemade au jus, you can buy au jus dry powder packets right in the gravy aisle at the grocery store. And while you’re there…you can also use brown gravy if you want a thicker sauce than au jus.
Our Homemade Brown Gravy Recipe also works fabulous with these sandwiches, BTW.
What Goes Well With Roast Beef Sandwiches?
Looking for some sides? We’ve got you covered. Sides for these roast beef sandwiches can be as easy as opening a bag of frozen french fries or whipping up some homemade mashed potatoes.
- Red Skinned Mashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Corn on the Cob on the Grill
- Homemade Bourbon Applesauce
- Crispy Baked Steak Fries
Looking For More Easy Dinner Recipes?
- Easy Chicken Parmesan Tenderloins
- Beefy Tomato Soup
- Fiesta Flank Steak
- Easy Homemade Spaghettios
- Juicy Turkey Burgers
These easy Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches can be on the table in just 15 minutes! Perfect for busy nights, parties and game days!
- 1 pound sliced roast beef from the deli
- Steak seasoning, kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 4 sub rolls
- 16 slices mozzarella or provolone cheese
- Preheat the broiler (for toasting the rolls and melting the cheese. Alternately, you can use a toaster oven).
- Melt butter in a medium pot. Add shallot and cook over medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add fresh thyme and then sprinkle in the flour. Stir to combine with the shallots and then pour in the sherry and whisk together. Pour in the beef broth while whisking and then season the au jus with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then turn down and let simmer until the sandwiches are ready.
- While the au jus is simmering, place the open sub rolls on a baking sheet and toast lightly under the broiler. Remove the rolls from the oven, add 2 slices of cheese to each side of each sub roll and then place back under the broiler for a minute or two to melt the cheese. Remove the rolls from the oven.
- Place the roast beef on a board, spreading out so that you can season the roast beef with the steak seasoning.
- Using tongs, dip the roast beef into the au jus and then divide between the 4 sub rolls. Serve with extra au jus on the side for dipping.
Note: To save even more time, buy powdered au jus packets in the gravy aisle at the grocery store.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top / Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: hot roast beef sandwich, roast beef sandwich recipe, sandwich recipe, easy meals, roast beef subs