For a comforting meal, try this Creamy Mushroom Soup! A creamy broth, savory mushrooms and a splash of wine, this soup is sure to satisfy.
If you love soup recipes with mushrooms you should also try my Beef Burgundy Mushroom Soup for another great dinner idea.
Creamy Mushroom Soup Recipe
Every time I have tasted a vegetarian meal I say the same thing. This is good – but it would be so much better with some sort of meat. Italian sausage, ground beef, ground pork, you get the idea.
Chicken, beef, pork, etc. Or even fish. Whatever meat I think would work best for that dish. Eye rolls all around the table whenever I say it but I still say it. This tomato soup might be one exception to the rule, but other than that, I’ll pass on the meatless Mondays.
However, this Creamy Mushroom Soup is definitely being added to the list. It has so much flavor from the mushrooms and marsala wine you totally don’t miss anything at all when you’re eating it.
How To Make Mushroom Soup
The part about this soup that makes it taste so good is browning the mushrooms. You’ve got to let them brown in butter with the onions for a good 15 minutes until they get really dark in color.
That’s where all the flavor is – then pour in marsala wine and let it cook down.
Then the rest is easy – just add in some garlic, chicken broth, salt and pepper, rosemary and a little bit of cream and let it cook for about 20 minutes. Blend it up with a stick blender until it’s smooth and creamy and dig in.
If you want to leave some mushrooms whole just spoon a few out before you blend the soup up – or if all smooth is your thing then blend away.
What Can I Serve With This Mushroom Soup?
All this mushroom soup needs is a big hunk of bread on the side! Crackers are also a favorite in our house, but if you’re looking for a bit more, we have some ideas for you:
- Arugula Salad with Creamy Maple Dressing
- Homemade Creamy Caesar Salad
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Sweet Cornbread Recipe
Looking For More Soup Recipes?
- Beef Burgundy Mushroom Soup
- Homemade Turkey Soup
- Low Carb Sausage Vegetable Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Copycat Campbell’s Tomato Soup
- Pork Egg Roll Soup
Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
For a delicious and comforting meal, make this Creamy Mushroom Soup. A creamy broth, savory mushrooms and a splash of wine, this soup is easy to prepare and is sure to satisfy.
- 2 10 oz. containers button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons marsala wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Add the butter to a large pot over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add in the mushrooms and onions then stir.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until browned over low heat, stirring often, then add the garlic to the pan.
- Pour in 1/3 cup of the marsala wine to deglaze the pan, scrapping up the bottom of the pan while you stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the liquid is almost completely gone.
- Add the chicken broth, rosemary, cayenne pepper and nutmeg.
- Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of marsala with the cornstarch and add to the soup. Bring to a boil
- then turn the heat down to simmer for 20 minutes uncovered.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender until smooth, then pour in the cream and stir.
- Taste for seasonings and serve.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can transfer the soup in batches to a regular blender instead. Let the soup cool for a few minutes before you put it in the blender and don’t fill it more than 1/3 of the way full.
- Category: soup
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: mantitlement, creamy mushroom soup, vegetarian soup recipe, mushroom soup recipe