This Pork Egg Roll Soup recipe taste just like your favorite Chinese take out egg roll! But this is a much healthier version, in soup form!
We love making all kinds of soup for dinner, like our famous Beefy Tomato Soup recipe! Another hit with our kids is our Homemade Turkey Soup or a big batch of this Copycat Campbell’s Tomato Soup!
A Comforting Soup Recipe Without The Carbs!
Soup is sort of an obsession in our family. Because soup is what makes everything better, even if nothing is wrong.
So when we set out to find a soup recipe for dinner, it can mean many things. Are we looking for a comfort food soup recipe? A healthy soup recipe? Or somewhere in between…
This Pork Egg Roll Soup recipe is more on the healthy side, and it’s definitely a low carb soup recipe if that’s what you’re looking for! So yes, we’ve added a few crunchy wontons to the top of this soup because our kids love them. But if you’re looking to keep the carbs way down then of course just leave them off.
How Do You Make Pork Egg Roll Soup?
One of the best parts about a soup recipe is when it’s totally delicious AND totally easy. This Pork Egg Roll Soup recipe falls into both categories.
All you need to do is cook the cabbage, onion and carrot in a pot for a few minutes until they soften up. Then add in the ground pork and cook, crumbling the pork as it cooks.
I don’t like to crumble the pork too much for this soup recipe, I like to see the pieces of pork in the soup. Next you just add your broth, soy sauce, sesame oil and seasonings. Simmer for 15 minutes and you’ve got an easy dinner recipe that took less than a half an hour, start to finish.
Is This A Low Carb Soup Recipe?
It sure is, one bowl will only cost you about 5 carbs, but that’s without the crispy wontons on top. We love serving dinner recipes like this egg roll soup that each family member can customize.
Because we might be on a low carb diet but our kids sure aren’t. Kids get crispy wontons for them on their soup, no wontons for us.
This soup recipe is so darn good I promise you won’t miss those wontons at all though!
Can You Make This Pork Egg Roll Soup Recipe Ahead Of Time?
The great thing about not having any pasta or noodles in your soup recipe is that there’s nothing to soak up all the broth! This vegetable soup is just that, mostly vegetables.
Vegetables, broth and ground pork. That’s basically all so this soup can sit in your refrigerator for a day or too, no problem.
Our Pork Egg Roll Soup recipe is also a great make ahead and freeze soup recipe! So go ahead and make a double batch so you have a nice, healthy dinner for a later time.
Looking For More Soup Recipes?
- Leftover Turkey Noodle Soup
- Beef Burgundy Mushroom Soup
- Low Carb Sausage Vegetable Soup
- Lighter Chicken Corn Chowder
Pork Egg Roll Soup Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 (1 cup) servings 1x
This delicious low carb soup recipe is going to be a hit for dinner! This soup works for a low carb diet or not, add the chips or leave them off depending on what you need!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 14 ounces shredded cabbage (can substitute cole slaw mix in a bag)
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 4 cups chicken broth (can substitute vegetable broth)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger paste or fresh grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Garnish options: wonton chips, sriracha, sesame seeds, scallions
- Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and carrots, cooking for 7-8 minutes until softened.
- Add the shredded cabbage, garlic, salt and pepper to the pot. Stir and cover the pot for 3-5 minutes so the cabbage can steam and wilt.
- Uncover the pot, stir the vegetables again then move the vegetables over to one side of the pot so that there’s room to add the pork to brown.
- Add the pork to the pot, breaking up the into large crumbles as it cooks until the pork is cooked all the way through.
- Pour in the chicken broth, soy sauce, ginger and sesame oil. Stir and bring to a simmer, then let the soup simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Test for seasonings, add more salt and pepper to taste if necessary.
- Serve with optional garnish on top.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: soup, soup recipe, low carb soup, low carb recipe, dinner recipe, easy dinner recipe, ground pork, vegetable soup
Soup looks delicious and flavorful!
After browning the ground pork, the grease stays in the pot and not drained off?
There isn’t much grease in the pot if you’re using lean ground pork. But if you want to drain the grease off you certainly can!
This sounds amazing! Trying it tomorrow. I’m wondering if adding rice noodles will change it up to much? I love rice noodles. Should I cook them separate?
Yes, maybe try cooking them separate since it might soak up too much of the broth.
This is my favorite soup to make and eat. So cheap, and so easy!
Helpful tip I learned along the way- I add some chopped up water chestnuts into the soup since they don’t lose their nice crunch. It really transforms the soup.
My family loves this soup recipe! I have made it 3 times already.