This Copycat Campbell’s Tomato Soup recipe is just like you remember…but better! Fresh ingredients make this tomato soup recipe better than the original!
Copycat Campbell’s Tomato Soup
This one is for our little guy. He loves tomato soup. Even if there’s more stuff in it than just plain tomatoes like our Beefy Tomato Soup recipe. But most of all he loves eating soup with a piece of bread or a cracker instead of a spoon, no utensils required.
It’s one of the few meals that we don’t have to sit and say “take a bite…” every couple of minutes. It’s not that he’s not a good eater – he just gets very distracted unless it’s something he’s really into eating.
So normally we make our take on Panera’s tomato basil soup that he loves (recipe to come soon) but this time we wanted to update a classic. We all had those famous Campbell’s soup recipes growing up, right?
Forget what you remember because this Copycat Campbell’s Tomato Soup recipe is going to blow the old memories away.
How To Make Campbell’s Tomato Soup Recipe
It’s so easy to get your favorite, nostalgic soup recipe at home with just a few basics!
You start with a simple, homemade tomato soup base. Tomatoes, chicken broth, onion, garlic, seasonings and whole milk…
You can use cream if you have it or if you like, but using whole milk will make the taste and the texture more like the original soup recipe. Or try using half of each!
After the soup cooks for a while, blend it up with a stick blender (my preferred method) or you can transfer it to a regular blender.
The key here is zero chunks, it has to be smooth and creamy just like the original.
Pour this tomato soup into big bowls or mugs and dig in with your preferred utensil.
Can You Freeze This Tomato Soup Recipe?
This recipe makes a whole big pot of soup so if you’re not going to use all of it you can freeze it for another meal!
The best way to freeze any sup with dairy is to leave the dairy product out of the last step. If you’re using heavy cream the soup will freeze fine but milk is better when added fresh to the recipe.
Once you defrost your soup just heat in a pot until warm, stir in the whole milk and serve!
This soup can be on the table in less than 30!
How To Make Copycat Campbell’s Tomato Soup!
Looking For More Soup Recipes?
A homemade version of the original canned tomato soup! This Copycat Campbell’s Tomato Soup is going to take you back, it tastes just like you remember only better!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 28 oz. can tomato puree
- 1 28 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- Heat a large pot over medium heat with the olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened, stirring.
- Next add in the garlic and stir, cooking for a minute more, then add in the salt, pepper, oregano and sugar. Stir and cook for another minute, then stir in the can of tomato paste.
- Carefully pour in the tomato puree, sauce and chicken broth.
- Stir together and cook for 15 minutes covered partially with a lid.
- After the soup has cooked, pour in the milk and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Taste for seasonings and serve.
Keywords: soup recipes, tomato soup, copycat recipes, homemade soup, easy dinners