Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches are an easy dinner to make any night of the week! These saucy, cheesy sandwiches are also great for meal prepping, game days or holidays!
Why You’ll Love These Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches
These Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches are truly a dump and go crock pot recipe. Five minutes of prep work is all you need and this easy dinner will be ready and waiting for you.
- Easy To Make: Just 5 minutes is all you need to get the ingredients into a slow cooker.
- Simple Ingredients: Chicken breasts, mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce are the basic ingredients for this slow cooker chicken recipe. Basic pantry seasonings and some grated parmesan cheese are the finishing touch.
- Make Ahead Recipe: Make this chicken ahead of time and warm it up during the week or for parties. This chicken freezes really well, too if you want to make it for later meals.
- Feeds A Crowd: Because we’re piling this chicken onto buns with cheese, you can really make this recipe stretch.
Ingredients You’ll Need
The ingredients shown here are for making the shredded chicken; all you need besides these ingredients are buns and mozzarella cheese!
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast: You can also use chicken thighs.
- Marinara sauce: Your favorite store bought brand – or you can use your own sauce.
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Grated parmesan cheese and small sandwich buns (not pictured, only because this shredded chicken is also delicious as is, or in a wrap).
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
We’ll go over the basic steps here. Please scroll down to the recipe card for complete instructions and ingredients.
- Gather Ingredients: You’ll need about 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts along with seasonings and marinara sauce to get started.
- Season Chicken and Add To Slow Cooker: Season the chicken with kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and garlic powder. Place the chicken into your slow cooker.
- Add Sauce, Cover and Cook: Pour marinara sauce over the chicken, spreading the sauce out so it covers all of the chicken. Place the cover on the slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Shred the Chicken: When the chicken is done and fork tender, transfer the chicken breasts from the slow cooker to a board. Shred the chicken and return it to the slow cooker with 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese. (optional but we love the flavor)
How To Serve Shredded Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches
So like we said, this simple shredded chicken recipe is delicious all on its own. You can add it to a plate with a salad or roasted vegetables on the side for a complete dinner.
However, our favorite way to serve these Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches is, like the name says, as a sandwich. Toast small sandwich rolls like a potato roll and then place the bottoms on a baking sheet.
Add a pile of shredded chicken to the bun and cover with a slice of mozzarella cheese. Repeat this with as many sandwiches as you need to make.
Place the baking sheet under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese. Add the tops of the toasted buns and serve.
Can You Make This Sandwich Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Absolutely! The shredded chicken can be made ahead of time and then refrigerated or kept warm in your slow cooker. When it’s time to eat just assemble the sandwiches, get the cheese melted under the broiler and dinner is done in just 5 minutes.
Tips For Success
- Toast The Buns: Don’t forget to toast the buns before adding the chicken. A softer bun may get soggy after this saucy chicken is added.
- Warm Leftover Chicken: If you make this recipe in advance and refrigerate the chicken, warm it in the microwave before adding to the rolls.
- Don’t Over Shred: We like to leave the chicken in slightly larger pieces and some smaller pieces. If you shred the chicken too fine it won’t have a great texture.
Looking For More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes?
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Chicken
- Slow Cooker Taco Chicken
- Hawaiian Pulled Chicken
- Chipotle Creamy Salsa Chicken
- Crock Pot Sticky Chicken Legs
- Slow Cooker Crispy Chicken Carnitas
These Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches are an easy dinner for any night of the week! Perfect for meal prepping, game days or holidays!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 24 ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 10 hamburger buns, split and toasted (see note*)
- 10 slices of mozzarella cheese
- Season the chicken breasts with the Italian seasoning, salt and garlic powder and place into a slow cooker.
- Pour the marinara sauce on top of the chicken, spreading out to coat the chicken. Set your slow cooker on low for 7-8 hours or on high for3- 4 hours or until the chicken is fork tender.
- When the chicken is tender, transfer to a board and shred with two forks. Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker along with the parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
- Preheat the broiler. Place the bottoms of the toasted buns on a baking sheet. Use parchment paper or aluminum foil for easy clean up. Add the shredded chicken to the buns, topped with a slice of mozzarella cheese.
- Place the baking sheet under the broiler for 2 minutes, just long enough to melt the cheese. Add the top buns and serve.
We used King’s Hawaiian sandwich buns which are on the smaller side, making about 10 sandwiches. A larger hamburger bun will make about 7-8 sandwiches and slider buns will make about 15.
Nutritional Information is for a whole sandwich, with the bun. With the cheese and no buns, this chicken recipe only has about 5 grams of carbohydrates, which can be reduced even more with a no sugar marinara sauce.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, easy chicken recipes, chicken breast recipes, slow cooker chicken, sandwich recipes, game day food