Shredded Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches are perfect for busy dinner nights or parties! Shredded, saucy chicken topped with melted mozzarella piled onto buns!
Slow Cooker Chicken Breast Recipe
Why not use your slow cooker to get you through busy days? We use our slow cookers all year long, not just in the cozy winter months. It frees you up when you’re busy working or doing errands but also when you just want to sit by the pool or go to the beach for the day.
And then these Shredded Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches are ready and waiting when you get back. This shredded chicken recipe is also a delicious low carb recipe, especially if you use a low sugar jarred sauce.
But for the carb lovers like myself, just pile the chicken onto buns with mozzarella cheese and you’ve got a dinner to please a crowd.
Ingredients For Making This Shredded Chicken Parmesan Recipe
The ingredients shown here are for making the shredded chicken; all you need besides these ingredients are buns and mozzarella cheese!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 24 ounce jar store bought marinara sauce (or you can use your own sauce!)
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Grated parmesan cheese (not shown, if you’re looking to keep the calories lower you don’t have to add the parmesan cheese but it’s super delicious if you do!)
Season the chicken and add it to a slow cooker. If you don’t have a casserole-type slow cooker like we have here, you can stack the chicken breasts on top of each other.
Just make sure to season the chicken breasts evenly before adding them to your slow cooker.
Pour the sauce on top and set it on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Spread the sauce out so that it covers the chicken. I like to lift the chicken breasts up to make sure that the sauce gets on the bottom, too.
When the chicken is done and fork tender, transfer the chicken breasts from the slow cooker to a board. Shred the chicken and return it to the slow cooker with 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese.
Stir to combine the cheese with the chicken and sauce. At this point you can either serve these chicken parmesan sandwiches or turn your crock pot to the “warm” setting if you’re not ready to eat.
Meal prepping for the week? Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and let it cool completely. Store the chicken in a container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How To Serve Shredded Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches
So like we said, this simple chicken recipe is delicious all on its own, or you can add it to a plate with a salad or roasted vegetables on the side. This slow cooker chicken breasts recipe is a pretty healthy one, and even pretty low carb.
As far as low carb chicken recipes go, there are a few carbs in the marinara sauce, but you can use a low sugar or a no sugar sauce or make your own. Without the buns this shredded chicken recipe only has about 5 carbs!
But since this is a sandwich recipe…we’re going to go ahead and add those hamburger buns. We used King’s Hawaiian Buns which are on the smaller side, so this recipe will make about 10 sandwiches.
If you’re using a larger hamburger bun you’ll get about 7-8 sandwiches total.
Pro Tip: Toast the buns before adding the shredded chicken so that they don’t get soggy. Add the chicken to the bottom buns and top with a slice of mozzarella cheese. Place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, add the top bun and serve.
Can You Make This Sandwich Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Absolutely! The shredded chicken can be made ahead of time and then refrigerated or kept warm in your slow cooker. When it’s time to eat just assemble the sandwiches, get the cheese melted under the broiler and dinner is done in just 5 minutes!
If you have refrigerated the chicken, warm it in the microwave first before the broiler step so the chicken is warmed through.
Looking For More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes?
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Chicken
- Slow Cooker Taco Chicken
- Hawaiian Pulled Chicken
- Chipotle Creamy Salsa Chicken
- Crock Pot Sticky Chicken Legs
- Slow Cooker Crispy Chicken Carnitas
These Shredded Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches are perfect for busy nights or parties! The slow cooker does all the work and you can make the chicken ahead of time!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 24 ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 10 small hamburger buns, split and toasted (see note*)
- 10 slices of mozzarella cheese
- Season the chicken breasts with the Italian seasoning, salt and garlic powder and place into a slow cooker.
- Pour the marinara sauce on top of the chicken, spreading out to coat the chicken. Set your slow cooker on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours or until the chicken is fork tender.
- When the chicken is tender, transfer to a board and shred with two forks. Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker along with the parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
- Preheat the broiler. Place the bottoms of the toasted buns on a baking sheet. Use parchment paper or aluminum foil for easy clean up! Add the shredded chicken to the buns, topped with a slice of mozzarella cheese.
- Place the baking sheet under the broiler for 2 minutes, just to melt the cheese and get it toasty! Add the top buns and serve.
We used King’s Hawaiian sandwich buns which are on the smaller side, making about 10 sandwiches. A larger hamburger bun will make about 7-8 sandwiches and slider buns will make about 15.
Nutritional Information is for a whole sandwich, with the bun. With the cheese and no buns, this chicken recipe only has about 5 grams of carbohydrates, which can be reduced even more with a no sugar marinara sauce.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, easy chicken recipes, chicken breast recipes, slow cooker chicken, low carb recipes, low carb chicken recipes, sandwich recipe