This Slow Cooker Taco Chicken is an easy dinner the whole family will love! Serve this low carb chicken recipe in a bowl with fresh limes and avocado, or over cauliflower rice.
Or for those not following a low carb diet, stuff this shredded chicken into taco shells or pile into tortillas for burritos!
Easy, Cheesy Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe
Not only is this Slow Cooker Taco Chicken easy to make, but it’s so darn tasty you’ll be making it all the time! It’s also a perfect low carb chicken recipe that can be adapted for the whole family.
Grab a bowl of this cheesy chicken with fresh limes and avocado or add it to taco shells or tortillas for those that aren’t following a low carb diet.
All you need is 4 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low to get this taco chicken tender tender and super flavorful. Cover it with a layer of pepper jack cheese and dinner is served!
Because who doesn’t love a delicious, easy low carb slow cooker recipe? Our hands are raised. Also be sure to check out this Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef and this Crock Pot Root Beer Chicken. Both super easy and both kid approved!
Ingredients For Making Taco Chicken
Just a few ingredients is all you need to get this low carb chicken dinner on the table!
- Chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins: Either will work fine, if your chicken breasts are on the larger side I like to cut them in half so that they cook faster.
- Salsa: Your favorite jar of salsa will do!
- Diced green chilis: Green chilis adds a delicious flavor to this chicken. Not spicy at all, just good flavor.
- Pepper jack cheese: Of course you can swap out whatever cheese you like, but pepper jack melts so smoothly and adds another little kick to this taco chicken!
- Cumin: Cumin adds a smoky flavor to this taco chicken. It’s a staple in a lot of Mexican cuisine.
- Garlic powder: We kept it simple and used garlic powder instead of fresh garlic, but both will work!
How Do You Make Slow Cooker Taco Chicken?
- You’ll need 2 1/2 pounds of chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins. If using whole chicken breasts, we like to slice them into strips first before adding them to the slow cooker. Not only do they cook faster, but you can get more seasoning on the surface of the chicken, resulting in a much more flavorful chicken dish.
- Next add salsa, green chilis and a few seasonings. (see recipe card for a full list) Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
- Once the chicken is tender, shred it with two forks and then add it back into the slow cooker. Stir into the sauce and then top the chicken with a layer of pepper jack cheese. Cover and cook the chicken for another 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Is This A Low Carb Chicken Recipe?
Serve this Slow Cooker Taco Chicken just as it is for a delicious, satisfying low carb meal! Pile in a bowl with avocado and fresh limes and a few sprigs of cilantro. If you’re looking for a low carb chicken dinner, this one is going to be made on repeat.
Grab a low carb tortilla along with shredded lettuce and cheese and you’ve got the most delicious low carb burrito. Of course, a bed of cauliflower rice is never going to steer you wrong, either!
For those who aren’t on a low carb diet, serve this taco chicken in tortillas on a bed of cilantro rice or plain white rice, or pile into taco shells.
What Side Dishes Can I Serve With This Chicken Recipe?
We have so many sides to choose from! Just head over to our Side Dishes Menu and browse away. Let’s start with a few of our favorites!
- Spanish Rice
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Cheesy Mexican Garlic Bread
- Cauliflower Rice
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
Looking For More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes?
- Shredded Chicken Parmesan
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Chicken
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Hawaiian Pulled Chicken
This Slow Cooker Taco Chicken is one of our kids favorite dinner recipes! They love it in taco shells or wrapped up int tortillas, or serve it in a bowl with avocado for a low carb meal!
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken tenderloins
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can diced green chilis (4.5 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded pepper jack cheese, Mexican blend cheese or cheddar
- Pour the salsa and green chilis into a 6 quart slow cooker. Cut the chicken breasts into large strips. For an average to large sized chicken breast, we usually cut it into thirds. You can also use chicken tenderloins for this recipe instead. Add the chicken to the slow cooker and season with chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6-7 hours until the chicken is easily shredded with a fork.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker to a board. Shred the chicken with 2 forks and then add back to the slow cooker. (See Note*) Stir to combine with the sauce and then top with a layer of the pepper jack cheese.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for another 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted.
This chicken is juicy, which is perfect for serving over rice. If you want less juice for tacos or burritos, drain the juice from the slow cooker and then add back a little at a time to the shredded chicken until you have the consistency that you like.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American / Tex-Mex
Keywords: mantitlement, slow cooker chicken recipe, recipes with chicken breasts, low carb recipes, low carb chicken recipe, low carb dinner recipe, shredded chicken, taco chicken