This Slow Cooker Taco Chicken is an easy dinner the whole family will love! Serve this chicken in a bowl with fresh limes and avocado, stuff into taco shells or pile into tortillas to make burritos!
Who doesn’t love a delicious, and easy, crock pot recipe? Our hands are raised. Also be sure to check out this Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef and this Crock Pot Root Beer Chicken. Both super easy and both kid approved!
Easy Crock Pot Chicken Recipe
Not only is this Slow Cooker Taco Chicken easy to make, but it’s so darn tasty you’ll be making it all the time! It’s also a perfect low carb recipe that can be adapted for the whole family. Grab a bowl of this cheesy chicken with fresh limes and avocado or add it to taco shells or tortillas for the non-low carbers.
All you need is 4 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low to get the chicken shreddable and super flavorful. Cover it with a layer of pepper jack cheese and dinner is served!
Ingredients For This Taco Chicken Recipe
Just a few ingredients is all you need to get this crock pot chicken dinner on the table!
- Chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins: Either will work fine, if your chicken breasts are on the larger side I like to cut them in half so that they cook faster.
- Salsa: Your favorite jar of salsa will do!
- Diced green chilis: Green chilis adds a delicious flavor to this chicken. Not spicy at all, just good flavor.
- Pepper jack cheese: Of course you can swap out whatever cheese you like, but pepper jack melts so smoothly and adds another little kick to this taco chicken!
- Cumin: Cumin adds a smoky flavor to this taco chicken. It’s a staple in a lot of Mexican cuisine.
- Garlic powder: We kept it simple and used garlic powder instead of fresh garlic, but both will work!
How Do You Make Slow Cooker Taco Chicken?
All you need to do is grab a few chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins and get them into your crock pot. Add salsa, green chilis and a few seasonings and you’re on your way to a dinner time fiesta! Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
Once the chicken is tender, shred it into larger sized pieces and then stir it back into the sauce in the slow cooker. Top the shredded chicken with pepper jack cheese and cook for another 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted.
How Do You Serve This Crock Pot Chicken Recipe?
Serve this Slow Cooker Taco Chicken just as it is! In a bowl with avocado and fresh limes and a few sprigs of cilantro. If you’re looking for a low carb chicken dinner, there you have it.
For those who aren’t on a low carb diet, serve this taco chicken in tortillas with rice for burritos, or pile into taco shells. Another idea for this chicken is to make quesadillas! You can add a little more cheese if you like and just cook them up in a skillet.
What Side Dishes Can I Serve With This Taco Chicken?
We have so many sides to choose from! Just head over to our Side Dishes Menu and browse away. Let’s start with a few of our favorites!
- Spanish Rice
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Cheesy Mexican Garlic Bread
- Cauliflower Rice
- Mexican Street Corn Pudding
Looking For More Slow Cooker Recipes?
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Meatballs and Sauce
- Crock Pot Smothered Pork Chops
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
This Slow Cooker Taco Chicken is one of our kids favorite dinner recipes! They love it in taco shells or wrapped up int tortillas, or serve it in a bowl with avocado for a low carb meal!
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken breast or chicken tenderloins
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can diced green chilis (4.5 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded pepper jack cheese
- Pour the salsa and green chilis into a 6 quart slow cooker. Cut the chicken breasts in half, making 4 strips, or 6 strips if you have larger chicken breasts. You can also use 2 pounds of chicken tenderloins for this recipe, but just keep an eye on the cooking time as they will cook up quicker. Add the chicken to the slow cooker and season with chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6-7 hours until the chicken is easily shredded with a fork.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker to a board. Shred the chicken with 2 forks and then add back to the slow cooker. (See Note*) Stir to combine with the sauce and then top with a layer of the pepper jack cheese.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for another 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted.
This chicken is juicy, which is perfect for serving over rice. If you want less juice for tacos or burritos, drain the juice from the slow cooker and then add back a little at a time to the shredded chicken until you have the consistency that you like.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American / Tex-Mex
Keywords: mantitlement, slow cooker chicken recipe, recipes with chicken breasts, low carb recipes, low carb chicken recipe, low carb dinner recipe, shredded chicken, taco chicken