This Restaurant Style Spanish Rice goes with just about any dinner! Serve this fluffy, tomato flavored rice with steak, chicken, fish and more!
What Kind Of Rice Do You Use To Make Spanish Rice?
Our favorite white rice is jasmine rice, but any white rice will work just fine to make this Restaurant Style Spanish Rice. Brown rice is nuttier in flavor and also has more fiber in it so it will take longer to cook, which doesn’t make it the right choice for this recipe.
You want the rice to steam in the chicken broth and seasonings, just until it’s tender. Using brown rice would require a lot more cooking time causing the rice to burn or stick to the bottom of the pan by the time it’s done.
So for our Perfect Spanish Rice Recipe, let’s stick to good old white rice!
What Type Of Pot Do I Need For This Rice Recipe?
An important part of this recipe is the pot that you use to make it in. We prefer a wide, 3 quart dutch oven because it creates a big surface area for the rice to spread out as it cooks. If the rice is in a narrower, taller pot then the rice might turn out a little more gummy because it doesn’t have room to let the steam escape.
So a wide dutch oven or a soup pot will work, as long as it holds about 3 quarts of liquid.
Slightly toasting the rice along with the onions, garlic and butter gives this Spanish Rice Recipe that added punch of flavor! Toasting the rice before it cooks brings out a more nutty flavor and also allows the rice to cook up in more separate grains.
The worst thing when you’re cooking rice recipes is when you end up with mushy rice. Mushy rice is pretty much a throw away and redo result for me, because no one likes mushy rice.
You do have to make sure that when you are cooking this rice that you are using the lowest setting on your burner, or else the rice will stick to the bottom of the pot and possibly burn. That is not to be confused with the crispy, brown bits of rice that you get when you fluff this rice at the end of the cooking time.
Those crispy rice bits are the best part about this Spanish Rice recipe!
Can You Make This Rice Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Definitely. I almost think this rice tastes even better when it sits for a while and then you reheat it. It gives the flavors a chance to blend together and some of the heat and steam evaporates so the grains will be firmer.
You can reheat this rice right in the microwave so it’s ready when you are!
What Other Ways Can You Use Spanish Rice Besides A Side Dish?
Oh let me count the ways…we LOVE this rice recipe for so many more things than just a simple side dish recipe! Let’s start with a few ideas here:
- A filling for burritos or tacos
- An addition to a Mexican chopped salad or a taco bowl
- Spoon it into Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Use it in lettuce wraps with chicken and peppers
- Use it as a base for a fried rice recipe
So yes, while we love this Spanish Rice as a super simple side dish recipe, it can be used for meal prepping in so many different ways! We keep a bowl of this rice, or plain brown rice in our refrigerator almost all the time.
Sliced grilled chicken or steak along with vegetables, lettuce and cheese and our kids are in heaven. They use these ingredients wrapped up in tortillas, to make quesadillas, taco bowls and so many more healthy meals or snacks.
Yes, a taco bowl in our house is like a snack. Jut a quick little meal for teenagers if you will…
Looking For More Easy Side Dish Recipes?
- Spicy Mushroom Rice
- Classic Garlic Bread
- Creamy Bacon Mushrooms
- 15 Minute Creamed Corn with Bacon
- Oven Roasted Balsamic Asparagus
- Crock Pot Crispy Brussels Sprouts
This flavorful rice recipe goes with almost any dinner! Or use it as a topping for tacos or burritos or in a taco bowl!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Add the oil and butter to a 3 quart dutch oven or wide, heavy bottomed pot over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes to soften, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Pour in the rice, stir and cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring often, until sightly browned. Add the salt, pepper and cumin, stirring to combine.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Stir the rice to make sure it isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pot, then turn the heat down to the lowest setting and cover.
- Cook the rice for 10 minutes, then add the tomato sauce. Stir to combine and cover for another 5 minutes. Turn the heat off and let the rice sit, covered for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley if desired and serve.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: rice, rice recipes, spanish rice, easy side dish, healthy recipes