This Slow Cooker Taco Chicken is one of our kids favorite dinner recipes! They love it in taco shells or wrapped up int tortillas, or serve it in a bowl with avocado for a low carb meal!
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken breast or chicken tenderloins
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can diced green chilis (4.5 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded pepper jack cheese
- Pour the salsa and green chilis into a 6 quart slow cooker. Cut the chicken breasts in half, making 4 strips, or 6 strips if you have larger chicken breasts. You can also use 2 pounds of chicken tenderloins for this recipe, but just keep an eye on the cooking time as they will cook up quicker. Add the chicken to the slow cooker and season with chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6-7 hours until the chicken is easily shredded with a fork.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker to a board. Shred the chicken with 2 forks and then add back to the slow cooker. (See Note*) Stir to combine with the sauce and then top with a layer of the pepper jack cheese.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for another 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted.
This chicken is juicy, which is perfect for serving over rice. If you want less juice for tacos or burritos, drain the juice from the slow cooker and then add back a little at a time to the shredded chicken until you have the consistency that you like.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American / Tex-Mex
Keywords: mantitlement, slow cooker chicken recipe, recipes with chicken breasts, low carb recipes, low carb chicken recipe, low carb dinner recipe, shredded chicken, taco chicken