This creamy Sausage Pumpkin Soup Recipe is so hearty and comforting! Spicy or mild Italian sausage creates the perfect sweet and salty bite!
Hearty Pumpkin Soup with Italian Sausage
We’re not really the ones over here roasting whole pumpkins and scraping out the flesh to make pumpkin soup. I know those recipes have their time and place but it’s not here.There’s nothing wrong with using perfectly delicious canned pumpkin from the store to get this creamy Sausage Pumpkin Soup Recipe on the table in a normal amount of time for dinner!
This pumpkin soup is also pretty loaded with Italian sausage because well, sausage. It really does belong in most soup recipes in my opinion. All kidding aside, we added sausage to this soup to make it a little more hearty, if you have growing boys like we do, dinner has to be tasty AND filling!
How Do You Make Pumpkin Soup?
All you need to do is cook down onions and carrots, brown Italian sausage and get a can of pumpkin puree. These are the basic ingredients to make this pumpkin soup, along with chicken stock and cream.
I can’t stress enough that you need to use good chicken stock when you’re making any soup recipe. If you use a water-like chicken broth the soup is going to taste like that. Weak and no flavor.
Our favorite boxed chicken broth is from Trader Joe’s, it pours out thick and is so flavorful you can sip it straight up, as is. If you don’t have a TJ’s near you, just test out a few different brands from the store to see which has the best flavor.
Can I Use Canned Pumpkin To Make Pumpkin Soup?
Like I said before, hell yeah. Let’s make things easy when we can, ok? I’ve tried making fresh pumpkin puree and I have to tell you, I like the canned stuff better.
Also, you’re going to need to use unsweetened pumpkin puree, not the sweetened kind like you would use for making a pie. Grab a good quality can of pumpkin from the grocery store and get on your way home.
I’m sure you have better things to do than roasting whole pumpkins today. Try one of our Pumpkin Cheesecake Martinis with all your spare time!
What Can I Serve With Pumpkin Soup?
Since this creamy pumpkin soup recipe is pretty rich, you’re going to want a crisp salad or maybe roasted vegetables on the side. Really, all I need is this sausage soup and a loaf of bread to call it a meal.
But if you’re making this soup for a dinner party or want to stretch it out for a crowd, sides are always good!
- Homemade Caesar Salad
- Asiago Cheese Garlic Bread
- Sheet Pan Loaded Brussels Sprouts
- Oven Roasted Balsamic Asparagus
- How To Make the BEST Roasted Brussels Sprouts
This creamy pumpkin soup is beefed up with Italian sausage! Use canned pumpkin to make this soup recipe a breeze!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 cups good quality chicken stock or broth
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (not sweetened)
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Roasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas) for garnish
- Add the oil to a heavy bottomed soup pot or dutch oven. Add the onions and carrots and cook while stirring for 5 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
- Season the vegetables with salt, pepper and the chopped garlic.
- Add the sausage to the pot, breaking up into smaller pieces as it browns. When browned through, tilt the pot to the side and spoon off any excess drippings if needed.
- Stir in the chicken broth, pumpkin puree, sage, nutmeg, cream and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 20 minutes.
- Taste for seasonings and serve with roasted pumpkin seeds for garnish.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin soup, creamy pumpkin soup, pumpkin soup with sausage, soup recipes, dinner ideas, pumpkin recipes