Try this Sausage and Pepper Spaghetti Squash Stir Fry tonight! This low carb dinner recipe is going to be a hit with the whole family!
A Low Carb Dinner Recipe For The Whole Family
So we’re trying to get some more veg in our diet. But we like to do it in creative ways, like these Easy Chicken and Broccoli Meatballs. Our boys LOVE those meatballs, I think it has a lot to do with our homemade Stir Fry Sauce recipe, but they eat them like crazy.
We could put that stir fry sauce on a flip flop and our boys would eat it. Kind of not kidding…
If You’re Looking For More Stir Fry Recipes…
- Ginger Beef and Green Bean Stir Fry
- Shrimp and Cashew Stir Fry
- Asian Chicken and Brussels
- Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry
I eat whatever we make for the site here, no question about it, but my vegetable consumption could use some work.
How To Cook Spaghetti Squash
We actually have an entire post with lots of tips for cooking spaghetti squash, so definitely go and check that out. Spaghetti squash is really simple to make, just season with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil and roast until tender.
Once the squash is tender, use a fork to scrape out the inside of the squash. The flesh will some apart in strands that look like pieces of spaghetti.
How To Make Sausage and Pepper Spaghetti Squash Stir Fry
Add ground sausage to a wok and brown, then add peppers and onions and seasonings. Now add the cooked spaghetti squash and stir to combine with the sausage and vegetables.
All the flavors will cook together for a few minutes and then it’s ready to serve, we’re only talking a few minutes here of cooking time once the spaghetti squash has been roasted. And to save time, you can roast the spaghetti squash ahead of time!
Our boys do like spaghetti squash, so even when we’re trying to cut out some carb from out diet, this stir fry recipe really works for the whole family. One of the keys to making this low carb recipe is to make sure you add enough ingredients that you know your kids will like.
If they like traditional sausage and peppers then they will most likely enjoy this dinner recipe.
Looking For More Spaghetti Squash Recipes?
- Chicken Pot Pie Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Philly Cheesesteak Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Spaghetti Squash with Apple Cider Glaze
- Creamed Spaghetti Squash with Bacon and Gruyere
Sausage and Pepper Spaghetti Squash Stir Fry
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
This low carb spaghetti squash stir fry is so delicious, you’re whole family will love it!
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1/2 cups diced green peppers
- 1 1/2 cups diced red peppers
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons garlic chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Season with salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of olive oil per half, then place face down on a baking sheet.
- Cook the squash for 30-35 minutes until the flesh is tender but not overcooked. You can test it by taking a fork and scraping the flesh into “noodles” to see if it’s ready.
- Let the squash cool and use a fork to scrape the flesh. Add the squash to a large bowl and set aside.
- In a wok or a large skillet, brown the sausage in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once the sausage is mostly cooked through, add the peppers, onions and garlic. Stir to combine with the sausage and cook for 8-10 minutes on medium heat until the vegetables are softened.
- Now add the chicken broth, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, chili sauce and pepper flakes if using.
- Stir and let simmer to reduce the broth for 5 minutes.
- Add the spaghetti squash back to the pan, stir to combine and cook for another 5 minutes to combine the flavors.
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: low carb dinner, low carb recipes, dinner recipe, spaghetti squash recipe, spaghetti squash stir fry, stir fry recipe
I love to try new recipes and I can`t wait to try Sausage and Pepper Spaghetti Squash. I love Italian cuisine I`m a pizza specialist by now ( I have 4 kids and they only want pizza) I hope they will enjoy this dish tonight. Thank you and Have a Happy 2018!
It’s so good! Our boys love it, I hope yours do too! Thanks Yola!
When do you add the chili sauce?
See Step #8 – (to add in the chili sauce)
I have to be honest, I was skeptical about this recipe. I wasn’t so sure the Italian sausage/ginger soy sauce flavorings we’re going to work together. I was SO wrong. I’m glad I tried it. It was very tasty and the spaghetti squash worked so well. The only change was to sub a mixture of sriracha/garlic/sugar for garlic chili sauce since I didn’t have any. Thank you for sharing your tasty and healthy recipe.
Yes, it is an unusual combination but it does work! Thanks for giving it a try!