Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers are cooked in a tomato marsala wine sauce – perfect for game day, meal prepping for the week or Sunday dinner!
An Easy Sausage and Peppers Recipe
There are a few different ways to make sausage and peppers. One is on the stove top, right in a skillet and another way is to make sausage and peppers in a slow cooker, or a crock pot.
If you like you sausage to have a snap, then the skillet method is for you. (Recipe coming soon!) But cooking sausage and peppers in a skillet on the stove does require more hands on time while the sausages are simmering.
So if you don’t have time for that, then the crock pot method is the way to go.
All you need to do is brown the sausages quickly in a skillet then transfer them to a slow cooker along with peppers, onions and the sauce ingredients. Turn it on low and walk away.
That’s another reason why this crock pot sausage and peppers recipe is perfect for parties! You’ve got other things to do I’m sure, other side dishes to make…so it’s one less thing to worry about.
Making sausage and peppers in the crock pot is going to result in a tender, softer sausage. Also extremely delicious and totally hands off cooking.
What Can You Serve With Sausage and Peppers?
Side dishes of all kinds go really well with this sausage and peppers recipe! Here’s a few of our favorites for you to pick from:
- Devilish Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad
- Homemade Shoestring French Fries
- Buddha’s Baked Beans
- Grandma’s Stuffed Artichokes
- Loaded Hasselback Potatoes
Our sausage and pepper recipe is a little different from a typical recipe you might be used to seeing. Instead of using a tomato sauce or marinara sauce, this recipe is made with a lighter sauce that uses marsala wine and chicken broth.
Tomato paste thickens the sauce up a little, but the result is a super tasty light sauce that you can spoon onto toasted sub rolls that will soak up all the delicious flavor.
There’s also a few different ways we like to serve these crock pot sausage and peppers, the best way (we think) is on a toasted sub roll with melted mozzarella or provolone cheese.
You can have definitely use un-toasted rolls too, with or without cheese. Just be sure to spoon some of the sauce that these sausages cook in onto the rolls before serving.
Definitely makes for a messy sandwich, the juice will drip out over the sides of the bun as you bite into the sandwich…but we wouldn’t have it any other way!
Looking For More Easy Crock Pot Recipes?
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken
- Sweet Chili Chicken Wings
- Nutty Asian Pork
- BBQ French Dip Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Jersey Pot Roast
This super tender sausage and peppers recipe is perfect for parties or just for a family dinner at home!
- 2 pounds Italian Sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or cooking spray
- 2 large red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 large green bell peppers, sliced
- 2 cups sliced onions
- For The Sauce:
- 1 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup marsala wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray, or add a tablespoon of olive oil to lightly coat the pan. Brown the sausages for a couple of minutes on each side until nicely browned.
- Transfer the Italian sausage to a slow cooker along with the sliced peppers and onions.
- Mix the ingredients for the sauce together in a small bowl, then pour over the sausage and peppers, tossing to combine.
- Set the crock pot on low for 4 hours.
- Serve the sausage and peppers on hot dog buns or sub rolls.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: slow cooker sausage and peppers, crock pot sausage and peppers, sausage and peppers recipe, easy dinner recipes