These Crock Pot Asian Meatballs are loaded with flavor! This vegetable packed meatball recipe can be served for dinner or appetizers at a party!
A Veggie Packed Meatball Recipe
There are a couple of steps to making this meatball recipe, but it’s really so easy – and so healthy – you’ll be making these all the time! So, this isn’t one of those crock pot recipes that you can dump everything into the bowl and turn it on. These meatballs do need to be baked in the oven first.
Just that one extra step…but it makes a big difference. You can actually make this meatball recipe completely in the oven, toss in the asian flavored sauce and serve. We like taking the extra step of using our slow cooker if you have the time because it makes the meatballs super soft and delicious.
Also using the slow cooker is a great way to make these meatballs and serve them later for dinner or for appetizers at a party, they’ll keep warm all night!
So what’s different about these meatballs you ask? For one, there are zero breadcrumbs in these guys…none. So if you’re following a low-carb diet, you’re going to love this recipe.
There’s also cabbage and mushrooms stuffed inside these meatballs so you don’t even need to add a vegetable side dish! These Crock Pot Asian Meatballs are a great way to sneak extra vegetables into your families diet, they’ll never know what’s inside!
How Do You Make These Crock Pot Meatballs?
Cook the cabbage and the mushrooms down in a skillet, then mix in into your lean ground pork, eggs, scallions, ginger, garlic and seasonings.
Next form the mixture into meatballs, I used an #20 scoop to help me get them all about the same size. Now bake the meatballs at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Like I mentioned before, you can stop the recipe here right after the oven. Toss the meatballs in the sauce and serve.
Totally delicious, and we do this a lot if we don’t have time for the slow cooker. But the slow cooker really does add something to this meatball recipe…super soft meatballs that don’t fall apart (because we baked the first) and the flavors have lots of time to blend together and get even better.
While the meatballs are baking you can mix up the sauce and have it ready to go. The sauce is just hoisin and barbecue sauce mixed together. If you’re trying to keep this recipe low carb, grab a low sugar BBQ sauce.
These meatballs also taste amazing with our Homemade Stir Fry Sauce that only takes a few minutes to make!
When the meatballs come out of the oven, get them in your crock pot and pour the sauce all over the top. Toss the meatballs gently in the sauce to make sure they’re all coated.
Cook on high for 3 hours, or on low up to 6 hours. The meatballs are already cooked at this point but letting them cook in the crock pot blends the flavors together and makes for a super tender meatball in the end.
How Do You Serve These Crock Pot Asian Meatballs?
A fun way to serve these Crock Pot Asian Meatballs for dinner is on a butter lettuce leaf for a low carb option. Or you can serve them over rice or noodles! We like to have options out so that everyone can eat these meatballs their own way.
If you’re serving these for appetizers then you can leave them right in your crock pot with toothpicks on the side. Serve these Asian meatballs like a cocktail meatball with toothpicks or have butter lettuce leaves on the side.
Looking For More Meatball Recipes?
- Grandma’s Sunday Meatballs
- Cheeseburger Meatballs
- Beer and Pretzel Meatballs
- Easy Chicken and Broccoli Meatballs
- Zesty Mustard Glazed Meatballs
This meatball recipe is not only delicious, but super healthy for you too! These meatballs are loaded with vegetables so dig in!
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 cups shredded cabbage
2 cups thinly sliced (or chopped) white mushrooms
1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 lbs. ground pork
1 egg beaten
3 scallions, chopped fine
2 teaspoons grated ginger
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
Butter lettuce leaves for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of the canola oil.
- Add in the shredded cabbage and the salt. Stir and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Push the cabbage to one side of the skillet and add the sliced mushrooms to the other side. Cook the mushrooms until they are slightly browned, then stir together with the cabbage and cook another 2-3 minutes. Remove to a plate and let cool.
- Put the ground pork in a large bowl then add the eggs, egg white, scallions, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, black pepper, and sugar and mix together.
- Add the cooled mushroom and cabbage mixture to the pork and mix together to combine.
- Form the meatballs using a #20 large scoop, or about the size of a golfball if you don’t have a scooper.
- Place the meatballs on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the meatballs from the oven and place in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Pour the sauce all over the meatballs and gently toss together. You can also toss the meatballs in the sauce separately in a bowl and then transfer to your slow cooker.
- Set on high for 3 hours, or low for up to 6 hours.
- Sprinkle the meatballs with sesame seeds and place into a butter lettuce leaf for serving.
This recipe works best in a small crock pot. If you have a larger crock pot double the sauce so they don’t burn. Also, you could skip the crock pot altogether and just toss the meatballs with the sauce in a skillet for 5 minutes, then serve.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: meatball recipe, meatballs, healthy meatball recipe, low carb recipe, appetizer recipe, healthy dinner recipe, asian meatball