Asian Meatballs are loaded with flavor and packed with vegetables! Cabbage and mushrooms are stuffed into these tasty ground pork meatballs!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups thinly sliced (or chopped) white mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground pork
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 scallions, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- Butter lettuce leaves for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of the canola oil.
- Add in the shredded cabbage and the salt. Stir and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Push the cabbage to one side of the skillet and add the sliced mushrooms to the other side. Cook the mushrooms until they are slightly browned, then stir together with the cabbage and cook another 2-3 minutes. Remove to a plate and let cool.
- Put the ground pork in a large bowl then add the eggs, egg white, scallions, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, and black pepper and then mix together.
- Add the cooled mushroom and cabbage mixture to the pork and mix together to combine.
- Form the meatballs using a #20 large scoop, or about the size of a golfball if you don’t have a scooper.
- Place the meatballs on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the meatballs from the oven and place in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Pour the sauce all over the meatballs and gently toss together. You can also toss the meatballs in the sauce separately in a bowl and then transfer to your slow cooker.
- Set on high for 3 hours, or low for up to 6 hours.
- Sprinkle the meatballs with sesame seeds and place into a butter lettuce leaf for serving.
This recipe works best in a small crock pot. If you have a larger crock pot double the sauce so they don’t burn. Also – you can skip the crock pot altogether and just toss the meatballs with the sauce in a skillet for 5 minutes, then serve!
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: meatball recipe, meatballs, healthy meatball recipe, low carb recipe, appetizer recipe, healthy dinner recipe, asian meatball