Asian Chicken and Brussels Sprouts will turn brussels sprout haters into lovers and I know this for a fact. Because I was one of them…a hater that is.
Right before the holidays I’m out shopping at the grocery store, just seeing what I can find. I’m always looking for anything interesting that different to cook up something with and there it was. A brussel sprout stalk. I’ve never seen one before so I immediately grabbed it. I actually grabbed two.
When I got home and and showed Christie – blank stare. She just looked at me and asked why I’d buy a brussels spout stalk when I hate (or actually have never tried to be fair) brussels sprouts? Well, I said, maybe we can come up with a recipe that will change my mind…
I’m telling you – this Asian Chicken and Brussesl Sprouts recipe is flippin’ awesome. Game changer. It was a win win recipe all around, the boys loved it and so did we. Our little guy said it was his “most favorite Chinese food ever” We’re talking a 7 year old here, shoving down brussels sprouts like there was no tomorrow.
So here we go…
We started out with chicken thighs, you could use chicken breast too but the thighs made it taste more like Chinese food to us.
Roast the chicken in the oven (salt, pepper, a little olive oil and roast about 40 minutes until cooked through) then shred and set aside.
Make up the sauce next – this sauce – I’m telling you, you’ll want to hang on to this one for all your stir-frying needs. Set that aside in a pourable measuring cup until you’re ready for that.
While the chicken is in the oven you can get the vegetables ready. We shaved our sprouts on a mandoline, but if you don’t have one just get chopping. Or you can buy them already shaved up for you at Trader Joe’s or your regular grocery store. You can buy the mushrooms pre-sliced too if you really want to make this an easy recipe – while we’re at it, grab a rotisserie chicken and shred that up! Hardly any cooking involved that way…
Now you’re ready to stir-fry. If you don’ have a wok, get your biggest non-stick pot out and get it going over high heat. First in are the mushrooms until they get browned, then the shaved sprouts for just a couple of minutes.
Next in the chicken and now it’s time for the awesome sauce.
That’s it – dinner done in 10 minutes. You can do all the prep ahead of time, get the chicken roasted and shredded, cut the vegetables and make the sauce so that come time for dinner you’ll be on the table in 10.
And just wait until the family gets a hold of this one – don’t even tell the haters that it’s brussels in here…just let them have a taste first!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 lb. brussels sprouts, shaved
- 1 lb. chicken thighs, cooked and shredded (or you can use 1 pound of shredded rotisserie chicken)
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- First make the stir-fry sauce by adding all the ingredients except the cornstarch mixture in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, add the cornstarch mixture, whisk to combine and then let simmer over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Add the canola oil to a wok and heat over high heat.
- Add in the mushrooms and cook until browned on both sides (give them a couple of stirs but let them brown) then add in the shaved brussels sprouts and shredded chicken.
- Stir together and cook 3-4 minutes until the sprouts have wilted a little.
- Add in the stir fry sauce starting with only half (see note), then adding more depending on your tastes.
*Don’t add in all the stir-fry sauce at first, start with half and then as more depending on how “saucy” you like your Chinese food. We used all of it because we like to serve this on top of rice. If you buy a brussels sprout stalk, you’ll just need one. If you buy the 9 oz. containers in the store 2 will be fine. If you buy the shaved brussels sprouts in a bag you’ll need 2 10 oz. bags.