Fried Cabbage with bacon is an easy side dish that goes with many meals! Tender cabbage with crispy, salty bacon is the perfect combination!
Who would have thought that cabbage could taste so good? It’s a totally underrated vegetable IMO, and believe me, that’s news to me. We also made these super flavorful Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks – both go perfectly with our Crock Pot Corned Beef!
Easy Fried Cabbage with Bacon Side Dish
Honestly, ask me a few weeks ago if I like cabbage and I might have said no. I mean, there’s nothing NOT to like about cabbage, it’s pretty plain in flavor but recipes like this Fried Cabbage will make you actually crave cabbage.
And that’s a pretty big deal if you know me at all. Craving vegetables really isn’t my thing, I’ll eat them, they’re fine, but to attack them first on the plate – not so much. So do me a favor and try this fried cabbage with bacon and let me know if there’s any left on your plate when you’re finished eating.
How To Make Fried Cabbage
Another awesome thing about this side dish recipe is that it really couldn’t be easier to make! Fry up a few slices of bacon (save those drippings) and then cook onions and cabbage right in there.
You want the cabbage to be tender but not mushy. I think this is one of the reasons I haven’t liked cabbage dishes in the past, because it was overcooked and I probably didn’t like the texture.
So just about 5 minutes will get the cabbage perfectly tender but still with a little crunch to it. Season the cabbage simply with salt and pepper and a touch of brown sugar. Add the bacon back in and stir.
How Do You Cut Cabbage For A Fried Cabbage Recipe?
We have a lot of recipes that I say – take the short cut – buy that shredded cabbage in the bag from the store, etc. Like our Super Creamy Cole Slaw, for instance, I like to cut it myself to vary the texture but absolutely you can grab a couple of bags from the grocery store to save time.
But for this Fried Cabbage recipe you need to cut it up yourself. We need the cabbage diced for this recipe, and it’s really easy so don’t be worried at all about doing it. Just cut the cabbage in half and then in half again into quarters. Remover the core at the bottom with your knife and cut the cabbage into 1 inch strips.
Now cut the strips into a dice, varying the size so that you have different size pieces in your fried cabbage recipe. Some will be smaller and cook down faster and some will be larger and remain a little more crunchy.
What Main Courses Go Well With Fried Cabbage?
As we mentioned before, nothing beats a good Corned Beef and cabbage dinner, but there are many other recipes that we like serving with cabbage on the side!
- Roasted Chicken
- Apple Bourbon Glazed Ham
- Crock Pot Smothered Pork Chops
- Ritz Cracker Meatloaf
- Apple Cider Chicken Thighs
- Dan’s Famous Whiskey Steak
Looking For More St. Patrick’s Day Recipes?
- Corned Beef and Cabbage Fried Rice
- Guinness Shepherd’s Pie
- Corned Beef Hash
- Irish Soda Bread
- Creamy Potato and Corned Beef Chowder
- Corned Beef Irish Nachos
Fried Cabbage with Bacon is an easy side dish that’s perfect for St. Patrick’s Day! But don’t save this delicious recipe for just once a year, we make it all year long!
- 1 pound cabbage, cored and diced (about 1/2 medium head of cabbage)
- 6 strips of bacon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup diced red or yellow onion
- Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until brown and crispy, remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain but keep the bacon drippings in the skillet. Chop into a large dice.
- Add the onion to the skillet, cooking over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the diced cabbage, stirring into the onions and bacon drippings. Cook while stirring for 5 minutes until the cabbage is softened but still has a crunch to it.
- Add the cooked bacon to the skillet and stir into the cabbage. Taste for seasonings and garnish with fresh parsley.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cabbage recipes, fried cabbage, fried cabbage with bacon, bacon recipes, holiday sides, st. patrick's day recipes, easy recipes, easy side dishes