Roasted Cabbage Steaks are an super easy, healthy vegetable side dish! This flavorful, roasted cabbage is perfect for your St. Patrick’s day dinner, or any meal!
We love super flavorful vegetables side dishes like this Brussels Sprouts Casserole or a family favorite, Grandma’s Stuffed Artichokes! Don’t forget to try our super tender Crock Pot Corned Beef recipe!
How To Roast Cabbage In The Oven
Cooking cabbage in the oven is one of the tastiest ways, maybe even the only way to do it. These thick slices of cabbage are also called cabbage steaks because they are so hearty they almost eat like a meal.
Honestly, a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper on the cabbage alone is going to taste delicious. But we came up with this zesty flavored oil, almost like a vinaigrette that makes this cabbage recipe stand out from the rest!
When you roast cabbage, or any vegetable, it condenses the flavors and almost makes it taste sweet and caramelized. Roasted Carrots are another delicious example of this, or Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
The next trick to making this roasted cabbage so delicious is cutting it into thick slices like this…
Now all you have to do is mix the ingredients together for the dressing and brush it onto your sliced cabbage. Roast for 35 minutes, basting with more dressing in between, and the end result is amazing.
What Can You Serve With This Cabbage Recipe?
Hello, corned beef!!!
I’m telling you, there’s no better side dish to pair with your corned beef than this cabbage recipe! Maybe you need some crispy bacon potatoes on the side, too but this cabbage recipe is a perfect match to just about any protein!
Chicken, beef (steak, for sure) fish of any kind and definitely a beautiful side dish to any everyday or holiday dinner.
Is Cabbage Good For You?
If your brain is a little foggy, try a big helping of cabbage. Cabbage is loaded with Vitamin K which is said to help with brain function and concentration.
Cabbage is also very low in carbohydrates, which is why many people following a low carb diet add cabbage to many of their recipes like these Cabbage Roll Meatballs for instance or our Pork Egg Roll Soup recipe.
Roasted or steamed cabbage can help lower cholesterol, it can also fight off acne and help you loose a few pounds since it’s so low in calories.
We added purple cabbage to this recipe too, mostly for the pretty color but in doing some research on the nutrients in cabbage we learned that red cabbage is the powerhouse of cabbage as far as nutrition goes, so it’s way more than just pretty.
So yes, cabbage is really good for you. We’re adding it to our weekly shopping list now, for sure. Bonus is that our kids actually seem to love it! You can use cabbage raw in salads, or fried rice recipes, pretty much anywhere you want to sneak it in!
Recipes That You Can Serve With Cabbage
Cabbage is such a versatile vegetable, you can serve it with most any dinner! Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Oven Roasted Turkey
- Dan’s Double Down Whiskey Steak
- Captain and Coke Glazed Ham
- Brown Gravy Meatloaf
- Sausage Stuffed Chicken Rollatini
Looking For More Vegetable Side Dishes?
- Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions
- Roasted Beets & Sweet Potatoes
- Brown Sugar Carrot Soufflé
- Creamy Bacon Mushrooms
- 15 Minute Creamed Corn with Bacon
Oven Roasted Cabbage Recipe
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
This oven roasted cabbage has a simple flavored olive oil that you baste onto the cabbage before it goes into the oven!
- 2 medium heads of cabbage, red or green
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the cabbage into thick slices, about 1 1/2 inches in width.
- Place the cabbage in a single layer on a large sheet pan and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic, dijon and vinegar together in a small bowl.
- Divide the olive oil in half. Brush one half of the olive oil mixture onto the cabbage and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and baste with the remaining olive oil.
- Roast the cabbage for another 20 minutes until soft and browned on the bottom.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cabbage, cabbage recipe, oven roasted cabbage, low carb recipe, vegetable side dish