This Cheesy Roasted Asparagus is unbelievably addicting! Tender, roasted asparagus topped off with two kinds of cheese and toasted walnuts! Not only is this asparagus recipe perfect alongside a steak or chicken dinner, but it’s an easy and delicious holiday side dish!
An Easy Asparagus Side Dish Recipe
If you’re looking for a simple side dish recipe that everyone will be going crazy over, this Cheesy Roasted Asparagus recipe is the one! You can make this dish ahead of time and bake it right before serving. Unbelievably good.
This is the asparagus recipe that will turn anyone into an asparagus lover, guaranteed. What’s not to love about tender, roasted asparagus topped with two kinds of cheese swimming in a light cream sauce? Nothing my friends, absolutely nothing.
How To Make Roasted Asparagus
Start by trimming the asparagus by removing the tough ends. For an easy how-to on trimming asparagus, check out this Roasted Balsamic Asparagus post for another delicious asparagus recipe and a step by step on cooking asparagus.
Line up your trimmed asparagus in a 9″ x 13″ baking dish and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add a good amount of fresh, chopped garlic and then pour in heavy cream to make the sauce.
Now you’re going to add shredded mozzarella cheese to the top, a nice thick layer, leaving the tips of the asparagus exposed like you see here. That’s just for presentation, so if you cover it all up, no worries, it’s all going to be delicious.
Add grated parmesan cheese on top of the mozzarella cheese and then finally top with roughly chopped walnuts. Of course if there’s a nut allergy you can just leave the walnuts out of the recipe, too. Here are some other nut options:
- Slivered almonds
- Pine nuts (pignoli) – if using pine nuts, add them to the last 5 minutes of cooking so they don’t burn
What Are Some Different Options For The Cheese In This Asparagus Recipe?
We love the melty, mild flavor of mozzarella cheese in this Cheesy Roasted Asparagus because it lets the flavor of the roasted asparagus come through. But if you want to amp up the cheese flavor, here are some ideas!
- Gruyere or Swiss Cheese
- Gouda (regular or smoked)
- White cheddar
- Monterey Jack
Can You Make This Roasted Asparagus Recipe Ahead Of Time?
100% yes! Follow the directions here and then just refrigerate the dish until you’re ready to bake. Remove the dish from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking time to take the chill off, if you remember.
Otherwise no worries, it might just take another couple of minutes in the oven. Still a super fast, easy asparagus side dish recipe.
What Main Meals Does This Asparagus Recipe Go Well With?
Honestly, this asparagus is so good you can make a meal out if it. But of course, we usually serve this roasted asparagus as a side dish for many different main course recipes. We’ll break it down between regular, everyday dinners and holidays meals!
Everyday Dinner Recipes:
- Bourbon Steak Kabobs
- Homemade Hamburgers
- Fiesta Steak
- Marsala Wine Beef Stew
- Chicken On The Grill
- Turkey or Chicken Cutlets
- Chicken Francese
- Chicken Marsala
- Crispy Baked Pork Chops
Holiday Main Course Recipes:
- Apple Bourbon Glazed Ham
- Brown Butter Baked Ham
- Garlic Herb Roast Beef
- Beef Wellington
- Simple Roast Turkey Recipe
Reheating This Cheesy Roasted Asparagus Recipe
If you do happen to have any leftovers, this roasted asparagus reheats perfectly right in the microwave. Don’t over cook it, the asparagus will get mushy if you do. Just warm it up until the cheese on top has melted again and the asparagus is warmed through.
A tip for reheating this asparagus so that you don’t end up with mushy asparagus is to take the portion that you want to reheat out of the refrigerator for 15 minute to take the chill off first. Then go ahead and reheat in the microwave.
Looking For More Side Dishes?
- Roasted Artichoke Salad
- Garlic Dill Roasted Potatoes
- Garlic Roasted Broccoli
- Bacon Wrapped Maple Glazed Carrots
This Cheesy Roasted Asparagus is so easy to make, and can be made ahead of time! Made with two kinds of cheese, a splash of cream and topped with toasted walnuts!
- 3 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Trim the asparagus by holding both ends and snapping the asparagus stalk where it naturally breaks. Trim the remaining asparagus stalks using the snapped stalk as a guide for cutting.
- Spray a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Add the asparagus into the dish and then drizzle the heavy cream on top.
- Add the garlic, then season with salt and pepper. Cover the center of the asparagus with the mozzarella and 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese, leaving the ends exposed. Bake for 20 minutes and then remove from the oven.
- Add the chopped walnuts to the top and then bake for another 5 minutes. Garnish with the remaining 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
To make this asparagus ahead of time, make the recipe in full (leaving off the walnuts) and then refrigerate until ready. Remove the dish from the refrigerator 15-30 minutes before baking and then bake per the instructions, adding the walnuts during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, asparagus recipe, roasted asparagus, baked asparagus, holiday side dish, vegetable side dish, low carb recipe