This Grilled Teriyaki Chicken has the most amazing, sticky and sweet glaze! Marinate these boneless chicken thighs for a few hours, throw them on the grill and dinner is done!
Don’t you just love easy chicken recipes like this chicken teriyaki? Easy AND super delicious is always a home run. Also check out another favorite grilled chicken recipe, this fun to make Chicken Souvlaki! Or if you’re looking for an all purpose chicken marinade, Our Favorite Chicken Marinade keeps us grilling all year long!
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
Even though we’re calling this recipe Grilled Chicken Teriyaki, you can definitely cook it other ways. We love the flavor that the grill gives to these chicken thighs, and since its grilling season we’re grilling all the time.
But if you don’t have access to a grill or maybe the weather isn’t so great, grab a grill pan, a skillet or even a baking sheet for the oven! All will work, the key here is marinating the boneless chicken thighs long enough for the flavor to penetrate.
Once these chicken thighs are grilled, you’re going to smother them with tons of addicting teriyaki glaze.
Ingredients For Teriyaki Chicken
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs: You can use breasts but thighs are going to be juicier and have more flavor.
- Pineapple juice: Not only for flavor but helps to tenderize the chicken.
- Soy sauce: For that umami flavor.
- Brown sugar: Just a touch of sweetness
- Sesame rice vinegar: Acts as a tenderizer and also adds flavor.
- Garlic chili sauce: Gives the sauce a deep red color and adds lots of garlic flavor.
- Toasted sesame oil: Adds a nutty, deep flavor.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic please!
- Ginger paste (or grated fresh ginger): Grate ginger over a microplane or use fresh ginger paste in a tube.
- Cornstarch: To thicken the marinade.
What Kind Of Chicken Is Best For Making Teriyaki Chicken?
I know everyone is going to ask this question, so let’s get it out of the way. Chicken thighs are the BEST option for making this Grilled Chicken Teriyaki recipe.
Chicken thighs have are more flavorful than a chicken breast and the meat is more moist and juicy. If you’re looking for the same flavor as your local take out restaurant, use chicken thighs.
Of course you can use chicken breasts, but for that authentic chicken teriyaki flavor stick with boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
How Long Do You Need To Marinate Chicken Thighs?
I like a nice, long marinade for this boneless skinless chicken thigh recipe. Do it overnight, (my favorite way to do it) or at least in the morning before you’re going to make it, so at least 6-8 hours.
This way not only do you get the flavor from the teriyaki glaze at the end but you also get the flavor from the marinade (which are one in the same) soaked right into the chicken thighs.
Is It Safe To Reuse A Chicken Marinade For Sauce?
Yes, 100%. You DO have to boil the sauce for at least 5 minutes to kill any bacteria from the chicken, but other than that it’s completely fine. We’ve been making this recipe for a long time now and we’re still here! You can do a quick google search if you need more data, but just a good strong boil for 5 minutes is all you need.
If you’re really not into reusing the marinade, just put aside some of the marinade before you add the chicken and reduce that for the glaze at the end.
What Sides Can I Serve With Chicken Teriyaki?
We love serving this boneless skinless chicken thigh recipe with rice or noodles, but we have some other tasty options for you, too!
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Spicy Mushroom Rice
- 15 Minute Creamed Corn with Bacon
- Thai Peanut Brussels Sprouts Coleslaw
- Green Beans Almondine
- Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Glaze
Looking For More Easy Chicken Recipes?
- Grilled Chicken Nuggets (Copycat Chick Fil A!)
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken
- Hawaiian Pulled Chicken
- Chipotle Creamy Salsa Chicken
- Sesame Ground Chicken
This Grilled Teriyaki Chicken recipe tastes just like it came from a restaurant! Tender, juicy marinated chicken thighs with an addicting teriyaki glaze!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic chili paste
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste (or grated fresh ginger)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Sesame seeds and chopped scallions for garnish
- Add the chicken thighs and all of the marinade ingredients (excluding the cornstarch and garnish) to a resealable bag or a dish. Marinate the chicken for at least 6 hours, but preferably 8 or overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade – reserving 1 cup of the marinade for the glaze. Preheat the grill to about 400 degrees and cook the chicken thighs for 5 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken to a platter and cover with foil while you make the glaze.
- Boil the reserved cup of marinade in a small pot for 5 minutes. Mix the cornstarch together with 1 teaspoon of water and whisk into the glaze to thicken.
- Slice the chicken thighs and place on a platter or serving dish. Baste generously with the glaze and garnish with sesame seeds and chopped scallions.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, easy chicken recipes, grilled chicken, healthy recipes, teriyaki chicken, chicken marinade, asian chicken recipe, take out at home