Classics like Green Bean Almondine never go out of style! This simple green bean side dish is going to be perfect on your Thanksgiving table!
What Are Green Beans Almondine?
Green Beans Almondine are a simple vegetable side dish that has been around for a long time. Classic recipes like this one are classics for a reason, they’re not only delicious but they’re easy to make and can be made ahead of time.
Blanched green beans tossed with butter get a crunchy topping from sliced, toasted almonds. Again, toasted in butter. So there’s a little bit of butter going on in this green beans recipe but it’s the holidays after all.
There are different variations to this recipe that can include lemon or orange zest, shallots and even bacon. All of those are tasty, I’m sure but today we’re sticking with a simple version of the recipe. Also my kids don’t like anything with a citrus flavor so we’re going to leave that out!
How Do You Make This Green Bean Recipe?
We start by blanching the green beans first and then rinsing them with cold water to stop the cooking process. This keeps them from becoming mushy and also helps to keep their bright green color.
Start the almond topping by adding butter to a skillet to melt. Once the butter is melted, add the sliced almonds and toast, while tossing, until they are golden brown. remove the almonds from the skillet and set aside.
Add more butter to the same skillet and add the blanched green beans, tossing them in the butter. Now comes the garlic, we like a decent garlic flavor to our green beans because we love garlic in just about everything.
A teaspoon or two of fresh garlic is a good place to start, depending on your taste and toss with the green beans for a minute or two. This cooking process is done over medium-low heat so that the garlic doesn’t burn.
Once the green beans have warmed though, place them on a serving platter and top with the toasted almonds. Season with fresh black pepper and a little kosher salt, if you like, and serve.
Can You Make This Green Bean Side Dish Ahead Of Time?
Yes! Which is key to holiday cooking, we know. Here’s a step by step of how to make this recipe ahead of time. These green beans can even be made the day before!
- Blanch the green beans and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain the beans and place in a covered container in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, add the blanched green beans to a skillet with butter and garlic, toss together to warm through and place on a serving dish. To the same skillet, add a little more butter if needed and toast the almonds, then place on top of the green beans and serve.
Looking For More Thanksgiving Side Dishes?
- Apple Rum Sweet Potatoes
- The BEST Roasted Carrots
- Creamed Peas with Fried Shallots
- Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
- Brussels Sprouts Casserole
This delicious green bean side dish is perfect for your holiday meals and easy enough for everyday dinners! A buttery, crunchy almond topping makes these green beans super addictive!
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1–2 teaspoon fresh chopped garlic
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- Start by blanching the green beans in boiling, slated water for 4-5 minutes. Drain the beans and rinse them with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced almonds and toast while tossing for about 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Remove the almonds from the skillet to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet along with the blanched green beans and garlic. Season the beans with salt and pepper to taste. Toss the beans and garlic in the butter just to warm through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Place the green beans on a serving platter and top with the toasted almonds. Garnish with more salt and fresh black pepper is desired.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: green beans, vegetable side dish, thanksgiving sides, thanksgiving recipes, green beans almondine, green beans amandine, easy recipes