Chicken Souvlaki is a healthy dinner for everyday meals or parties! Grilled, marinated chicken served on pita bread with tzatziki sauce and crunchy fresh vegetables!
Healthy dinner recipes really don’t have to be boring. Add the crunch of fresh veggies and a quick marinade and you’ll end up with a meal that everyone will love. We also love making our Favorite Chicken Marinade for grilled or baked chicken, which you can use in this recipe too!
Chicken Souvlaki Recipe
Not only is making Chicken Souvlaki super easy, but it’s a fun and healthy recipe that our whole family loves eating. You can set out all the toppings and everyone can make their own pita sandwich with the ingredients they like.
Serving this chicken recipe on warm pita bread is a must, please don’t leave that step out! Simply wrap the pita bread in foil and place in the oven at 325 degrees while you’re grilling the chicken and it’ll be ready when you are.
How Do You Make Chicken Souvlaki?
Star by making a quick marinade for the chicken. You can use chicken breast or thighs for this recipe, whichever you prefer. The marinade is made from fresh lemon juice, olive oil, garlic (lots of garlic) and dried oregano.
Once the chicken has marinated, soak a few wooden skewers in water for about 30 minutes so that they don’t burn on the grill. If you have metal skewers you can obviously skip this step!
While the chicken is grilling you can warm the pita bread in the oven so that’s it’s ready for you when the chicken is done.
Grill the chicken kabobs for about 4-5 minutes on each side until the chicken pieces is cooked through in the centers. Remove the kabobs from the grill to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
How To Serve Chicken Souvlaki
Grab that warm pita bread and lets’ get ready to assemble! Add a bed of lettuce to a pita bread and top with a spoonful or two of store bought tzatziki sauce. Add sliced tomatoes and thinly sliced red onion.
Now some of us like to get in there and grab the pita and eat it like a giant sandwich. This is probably the correct way to eat Chicken Souvlaki. But if you’re like others that pile on WAY to many ingredients and toppings, then you can go at it with a knife and fork. No shame here, you do you.
What Is Tzatziki Sauce?
Tzatziki sauce is a sauce made from yogurt (typically Greek yogurt) fresh lemon juice, garlic, cucumbers and fresh herbs. Not only is tzatziki sauce delicious on this Chicken Souvlaki recipe but it’s great for topping sandwiches or using as a dipping sauce for fresh vegetables!
You can certainly make your own tzatziki sauce but I find that there’s a lot of great store brought brands, too. I prefer the kind that’s in the produce section at your grocery store as opposed to the jars on the shelf in the salad dressing aisle.
Looking For More Easy Chicken Recipes?
- Honey Chipotle Chicken
- Authentic Hibachi Chicken
- Chicken Francese
- Sesame Ground Chicken
- Hawaiian Pulled Chicken
- Prep Time: 4 hours (for marinating)
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 Servings 1x
Chicken Souvlaki is a fun and healthy dinner recipe that the whole family will love! Grilled, marinated chicken kabobs top warm pita bread with vegetables and tzatzikki sauce!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- Pita Bread
- Red Onions
- Romaine or Iceberg Lettuce
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Start by cutting the chicken into large cubes. Add to a dish or a resealable bag along with the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Marinate the chicken for 4-6 hours.
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling. After the chicken has marinated, remove the chicken from the marinade and thread onto the skewers. Grill over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side until the chicken is cooked through. You can skip this step if you don’t have a grill available and cook the chicken in a skillet too.
- While the chicken is grilling, wrap pita bread in aluminum foil and place it in the oven at 325 degrees. When the chicken is ready, add the skewers to a platter and get ready to assemble the chicken souvlaki!
- Add a bed of shredded lettuce to a warm pita bread and top with a spoonful or two of tzatziki sauce. Add a few pieces of the chicken along with sliced tomatoes and sliced red onion.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, easy chicken recipes, grilling recipes, grilled chicken, chicken kabobs,