Bulleit Peppermint Hot Chocolate will warm you up from the inside out!
Hot chocolate and marshmallows, it’s a classic combo.
And it’s not just for the kids anymore – not when we’re adding in some high quality Bulleit bourbon to the mix. This recipe is good for the whole family though, kids and adults alike. Just add in the booze at the end for the tall people. None for the little guys and you’re all good.
But today we’re making the boozy kind of hot chocolate. And we’re not just using any bourbon here, I’m adding Bulleit Bourbon 10 year. Yep, that’s me. I’m the guy that adds 10 year bourbon to his hot chocolate. Why you ask? Because I like it that way. Better booze = better drink in my opinion. But that’s not to say there’s anything wrong with regular Bulleit. If you have that go ahead and pour away.
Also, if you’ve never made hot chocolate from scratch before the time to start is now. It is so much better than anything you’re going to get from a package, as most things are, but until you try it you’re not going to know.
All you have to do is heat up some milk and heavy cream in a sauce pan over low heat…
Once the milk and cream mixture is warm, add in cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla extract, a pinch of sea salt (brings out the chocolate flavor, trust me) and last, the bourbon and peppermint schnapps. You can add more or less depending on how strong you like it but about a shot worked out well for me.
I mean you want to have more than one of these, right?
Before you get ready to pour, rim your mug with some crushed peppermint candy. It not only looks cool but it adds a great flavor to the hot chocolate.
Now you’re ready to pour in your hot chocolate and top it with all the marshmallows it can handle. If you’re serving this as an after dinner/dessert drink you could add some chocolate covered pretzels to the table for something salty.
Serve this hot chocolate up whenever it’s cold outside and you’ll warm up in minutes!
I whipped up this Bulleit Peppermint Hot Chocolate for thebar.com so head on over and check out tons of other amazing cocktails!
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 ounce Bulleit Bourbon
- ½ ounce peppermint schnapps
- marshmallows for topping
- crushed peppermint candies for rimming the mug
- Dip the rim of a heat-proof mug into a shallow dish of corn syrup and then into another shallow dish with the crushed peppermints, turning to coat the rim.
- Heat the milk and cream combination in a small saucepan over low heat until small bubbles form on the rim of the pan.
- Add in the cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla extract, salt and bourbon.
- Stir and heat for another 2-3 minutes until warm.
- Pour into the rimmed mug and top with marshmallows.