This Pasta with Pumpkin Cream Sauce is like a creamy pumpkin version of alfredo sauce – with pumpkin and tons of sausage.
This recipe is one that Christie has been making for a long time from one of Rachel Ray’s first cookbooks published way back in 2000. Seems like so long ago, I guess it was since that was pre-kid days. And I don’t really remember much before pre-kid days so it’s a long time.
How To Make This Pasta Recipe
Cook a pound of pasta drain…you know the drill…but we’ll get back to the pasta later.
Browning a pound of sausage in a large skillet, yep a whole pound. Then you’re going to add chicken broth, pumpkin puree and cream. With me so far?
Good, so don’t freak out when I tell you what’s going in next. Because I can tell you that it definitely did not seem normal to me when Christie told me to grab the nutmeg and cinnamon. I mean we’re not making dessert here, it’s pasta – but trust me and follow along…
Any long or short tube pasta would work for this recipe like rigatoni or ziti. The important part is that you want some sort of area for all the creamy pumpkin sauce to get stuck in while you’re eating it, so just don’t grab a long noodle like spaghetti.
Add the cooked pasta to the skillet with the sauce and stir carefully until it’s all mixed together.
So what if you’re not a huge fan of pumpkin in your dinner? I can tell you that my little guy ate two bowls before we ever told him that there was pumpkin involved.
It was good – so he ate it. That was all he cared about.
Looking For More Pasta Recipes?
- Easy Penne Vodka
- Classic Beef Lasagna Recipe
- Stuffed Shells Recipe
- Easy Chicken (or Turkey) Bolognese
- Beefy Tomato Soup with Pasta
This delicious, creamy pasta recipe has Italian sausage and pumpkin puree right in the sauce!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet or spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 sage leaves, sliced into thin strips
- 1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 2 pinches of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- a few grinds of fresh black pepper
- 1 pound penne or rigatoni pasta
- parmesan cheese for garnish
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to the package directions then drain.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet with the olive oil, breaking up with a wooden spoon into small pieces.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the onion and another tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth while scraping up the bottom of the pan, then add the pumpkin, cream, sage, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and let cook uncovered for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Once the sauce is thickened, add sausage to the sauce.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet with the sauce and stir to combine.
- Garnish with more fresh sage and parmesan cheese.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pasta recipes, dinner recipes, recipes with italian sausage, pumpkin recipes, pumpkin cream sauce