This Pasta with Pumpkin Cream Sauce is my kind of fall comfort food! Pasta swimming in a creamy, pumpkin flavored sauce with Italian sausage and fresh herbs!
It’s time for all the pumpkin things! Be sure to check out our Creamy Sausage Pumpkin Soup and these super delish Pumpkin Glazed Cocktail Meatballs!
Pumpkin and Sausage Pasta Recipe
So like we said, it’s pumpkin season. People are tagging their PSL all over the place, and we’re not hating it. Fall is a time of year to get cozy, while still being able to enjoy the weather outside. At least that’s how it is in our neck of the woods, we’ve got all the seasons here in Jersey.
This pumpkin pasta recipe is flavored with Italian sausage (hot or mild) canned pumpkin, cream and fresh sage. There’s also a few touches of a certain spice that you probably wouldn’t expect in a savory pasta recipe…but trust me, it’s all the coziness you’re looking for, wrapped up in a bowl.
How Do You Make This Pasta Recipe?
Start by boiling and draining the pasta. You can start the sauce while the water is boiling, it should be done right around the same time that your pasta is cooked.
Brown Italian sausage with onion and garlic in a large skillet, drain any drippings from the pan and then sprinkle in a tablespoon of flour. Whisk to combine the flour with the sausage and onions, then slowly pour in white wine to deglaze the pan.
Really get in there and scrape up the bottom of the skillet, then slowly add chicken broth, whisking as you pour. Bring the sauce to a simmer and then add heavy cream and canned pumpkin. This will not only flavor the sauce but really give it a nice, creamy, thick texture.
Looking For More Pasta Recipes?
- Easy Penne Vodka
- Classic Beef Lasagna Recipe
- Stuffed Shells Recipe
- Easy Chicken (or Turkey) Bolognese
- Beefy Tomato Soup with Pasta
Penne with Pumpkin and Sausage
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
This delicious, creamy pasta recipe has Italian sausage and pumpkin puree right in the sauce!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet or spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 sage leaves, sliced into thin strips
- 1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 2 pinches of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- a few grinds of fresh black pepper
- 1 pound penne or rigatoni pasta
- parmesan cheese for garnish
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to the package directions then drain.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet with the olive oil, breaking up with a wooden spoon into small pieces.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the onion and another tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth while scraping up the bottom of the pan, then add the pumpkin, cream, sage, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and let cook uncovered for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Once the sauce is thickened, add sausage to the sauce.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet with the sauce and stir to combine.
- Garnish with more fresh sage and parmesan cheese.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pasta recipes, dinner recipes, recipes with italian sausage, pumpkin recipes, pumpkin cream sauce