Perfect Pumpkin Chicken Stew is satisfying all of our pumpkin cravings! Juicy, slow cooked chicken in the most amazing, creamy pumpkin sauce!
Comfort food – it’s what this time of year is all about. Whether it’s a slow cooker Stew Recipe or a faster cooking meal like Pasta Carbonara, it’s all about giving us the warm and cozy feels.
A Savory Pumpkin Dinner Recipe
Often when we think about pumpkin recipes, we’re thinking dessert or at least something on the sweeter side. But this crock pot Perfect Pumpkin Chicken Stew is a savory pumpkin recipe, and it’s going to blow you away!
This chicken stew has tender pieces of chicken that’s shredded for optimal soaking up of the sauce, along with carrots, chick peas and diced tomatoes for a little pop of acidity. Then we added a touch of brown sugar and a sprinkling of cayenne pepper at the end for that amazing sweet and spicy flavor.
So yes, it’s perfect. It’s our favorite chicken stew recipe for the fall, winter or anytime you need a pumpkin fix!
What Kind Of Chicken Do I Use To Make This Chicken Stew Recipe?
Chicken breasts are our go to for this stew, but you can also use chicken thighs. Boneless and skinless in both cases, it just depends on what kind of chicken you prefer, lighter or darker meat. You could also use a combination of both!
How To Make Perfect Pumpkin Chicken Stew
This chicken stew recipe is literally so easy to make, all you do is ad all the ingredients right into a slow cooker. After about 6 hours, remove the chicken from the crock pot, shred it and add it back to the sauce. Stir in heavy cream to make the sauce extra delicious and serve!
What Can I Serve With This Chicken Stew Recipe?
What you need to do is serve a side dish that will soak up all that creamy, pumpkin flavored sauce. You don’t want to leave any of it behind!
- Rice: White rice, brown rice or a rice medley like we used here. Our Spicy Mushroom Rice recipe would also be a great choice.
- Mashed Potatoes: Our go to recipe is this one here, but in a pinch you can use store bought potatoes too.
- Pineapple Stuffing: A vegetarian stuffing like this pineapple version would work perfectly with these pumpkin flavors.
- Roasted Peas: If you feel like you need some greens on your plate, try adding these buttery roasted peas to the menu!
- Roasted Potatoes: These crispy mustard roasted potatoes are another delicious potato side dish option.
How To Store & Reheat Pumpkin Chicken Stew
Once the stew has cooled to room temperature, place it into a covered container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. To reheat you can gently warm up on the stove or just place it into the microwave for a couple of minutes until warmed through.
This stew recipe can also be frozen and reheated for another dinner! Thaw in the refrigerator and then reheat in the microwave or stove top and serve with one of our side dish ideas for an easy dinner night!
Looking For More Slow Cooker Recipes?
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Easy Smothered Pork Chops
- Crock Pot Corned Beef
- Crock Pot Sausage & Peppers
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Perfect Pumpkin Chicken Stew
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 Servings 1x
This creamy chicken stew is flavored with real pumpkin puree with carrots and chick peas. Serve over rice or potatoes to soak up all the creamy pumpkin sauce!
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15.5 ounce) chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups baby carrots sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Pour the chicken the broth into a 6-8 quart slow cooker. Whisk in the pumpkin puree and then add in the chicken breasts.
- Season the chicken with the salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and cumin and then add the chick peas and carrots around the chicken breasts. Turn the slow cooker on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken onto a board and shred with forks. Add the diced tomatoes, cream, brown sugar and cayenne pepper to the sauce in the slow cooker and stir. Taste for seasonings and adjust if needed.
- Add the chicken back to the slow cooker and cook for another 1-2 hours. This extra step is to blend the flavors into the shredded chicken and thicken the sauce further. The stew will be done after 7 hours but if needed can go up to the full 8 hours.
- Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken stew, easy chicken recipes, chicken recipes, pumpkin recipes, recipes with pumpkin, slow cooker recipes, crock pot recipes, dinner recipes
So tasty! I had a pumpkin left over and was just going to make soup but wondered if I could use up some chicken that needed to be used. I didn’t have any chickpeas so left them out, and used low fat creme fraiche instead. This is so delicious, warming and comforting! The smell in the house when I came home was gorgeous. My husband was skeptics but now totally won over! Thank you!