This creamy chicken stew is flavored with real pumpkin puree with carrots and chick peas. Serve over rice or potatoes to soak up all the creamy pumpkin sauce!
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15.5 ounce) chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups baby carrots sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Pour the chicken the broth into a 6-8 quart slow cooker. Whisk in the pumpkin puree and then add in the chicken breasts.
- Season the chicken with the salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and cumin and then add the chick peas and carrots around the chicken breasts. Turn the slow cooker on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken onto a board and shred with forks. Add the diced tomatoes, cream, brown sugar and cayenne pepper to the sauce in the slow cooker and stir. Taste for seasonings and adjust if needed.
- Add the chicken back to the slow cooker and cook for another 1-2 hours. This extra step is to blend the flavors into the shredded chicken and thicken the sauce further. The stew will be done after 7 hours but if needed can go up to the full 8 hours.
- Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken stew, easy chicken recipes, chicken recipes, pumpkin recipes, recipes with pumpkin, slow cooker recipes, crock pot recipes, dinner recipes