Homemade Pumpkin Oatmeal is so warm and comforting, and only takes about 10 minutes to make! A wholesome, nutritious breakfast that you can make on the stovetop or in the microwave!
We’re using canned pumpkin puree for this oatmeal recipe, so if you’ve got that extra bit left from making your favorite pumpkin baked treats, swirl it into this cozy, pumpkin-flavored oatmeal!
Cozy & Comforting Pumpkin Oatmeal Recipe
Looking for a comforting, hearty, and nutritious breakfast all in one? This Pumpkin Oatmeal is the breakfast recipe you’re looking for. Not only does it have all the fall flavors you’re craving, but it only takes about 10 minutes to make, from start to finish.
This oatmeal recipe can be made on the stovetop or in the microwave, but both methods still take less than 10 minutes, so it’s up to you how to make it.
The best part about this pumpkin oatmeal, in my opinion, is the toppings. We like adding walnuts, a little more brown sugar, and a swirl of pumpkin puree to punch up the pumpkin flavor.
Ingredients For Pumpkin Oatmeal
Just a few simple ingredients are all you’re going to need to get this pumpkin oatmeal on the table in less than 10 minutes! Head to the recipe card for the full list of ingredients and quantities needed.
- Old Fashioned Oats: We love the flavor and chewy texture of regular, old-fashioned oats for this recipe, but if you only have quick, or 1-minute oats, follow the cooking times on the package and then continue on with the recipe.
- Pumpkin Puree: Unsweetened pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling. If pumpkin pie filling is all that you have, you can also use that, but cut down on the brown sugar since pumpkin pie filling is sweetened.
- Milk: Whole milk is our go-to for this oatmeal recipe, but you can swap it out with almond milk or low-fat milk.
- Brown Sugar
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
How To Make Pumpkin Oatmeal
This oatmeal recipe couldn’t be easier to make. Have we mentioned that you can make it on the stovetop OR in the microwave?? Both cooking methods will take less than 10 minutes, from start to finish.
For The Stove Top: Add your milk of choice to a small pot and bring to a simmer. Stir in the oats and a pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon, and then simmer the mixture for another minute until the oats are chewy and the oatmeal is thick. Pour into a bowl and garnish with desired toppings.
For The Microwave: Add the milk, salt, and oats to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Stir the oatmeal, and then add the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. Microwave for another minute (if needed) to thicken the oatmeal, and then serve.
What Toppings Can I Add To Oatmeal?
For this Pumpkin Oatmeal, we use toppings that compliment the fall and pumpkin vibe of this simple breakfast recipe. Sliced apples, walnuts, a swirl of pumpkin puree, a drizzle of honey, PLUS a little more brown sugar depending on how sweet you like your oatmeal.
More Topping Ideas:
- Raisins, Craisins, or Other Dried Fruit
- Milk or Cream
- Other Nuts (Like Pecans or Sliced Almonds)
- Peanut Butter or any Nut Butter
- Chia Seeds or Flax Seeds
- Coconut Flakes
Can Oatmeal Be Made Ahead Of Time?
Making homemade oatmeal is really so easy, it can be and should be made right before eating. Leftover oatmeal will get very thick in the refrigerator and the oats will get soft instead of having that delicious, chewy texture.
However, you can microwave leftover oatmeal and thin it out with milk or cream, too. So don’t throw it away if you do have any leftovers!
How To Make Overnight Oats
You can use these same flavors to make overnight oats, too! Simply add the oats, milk of choice, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon to a container and stir.
Cover the container and refrigerate for at least 8 hours (or overnight) and for up to 3 days. Stir the oats before serving and adjust the flavors if needed.
Looking For More Breakfast Recipes?
- Pumpkin Overnight French Toast
- Freezer Burritos
- Hawaiian Roll French Toast
- Corned Beef Hash
- Glazed Banana Bread
This Pumpkin Oatmeal is so hearty and comforting, and has all your favorite fall flavors! Cook it on the stove top or in the microwave for a hearty and easy nutritious breakfast!
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk (can swap out almond or oat milk)
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree, unsweetened – not pumpkin pie filling
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Swirl of pumpkin puree
- Sliced apples
- Honey or maple syrup
- Splash of milk or cream
- See post for more topping ideas!
Stove Top Instructions:
- Add your milk of choice to a small pot and bring to a simmer. Stir in the oats and a pinch of salt, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon, and simmer for another minute until the oats are chewy and the oatmeal is thick. Pour into a bowl and garnish with desired toppings.
- Add the milk, salt, and oats to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir the oatmeal and then add the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. Microwave for another minute (if needed) to thicken the oatmeal and serve.
Reheat: Reheat oatmeal in the microwave with a splash of milk or cream to thin out the oatmeal as needed.
Store: Store leftover oatmeal in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Category: Breakfast / Brunch
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, oatmeal, healthy recipes, breakfast ideas