This delicious, creamy pasta recipe has Italian sausage and pumpkin puree right in the sauce!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet or spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 sage leaves, sliced into thin strips
- 1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 2 pinches of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- a few grinds of fresh black pepper
- 1 pound penne or rigatoni pasta
- parmesan cheese for garnish
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to the package directions then drain.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet with the olive oil, breaking up with a wooden spoon into small pieces.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the onion and another tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth while scraping up the bottom of the pan, then add the pumpkin, cream, sage, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and let cook uncovered for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Once the sauce is thickened, add sausage to the sauce.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet with the sauce and stir to combine.
- Garnish with more fresh sage and parmesan cheese.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pasta recipes, dinner recipes, recipes with italian sausage, pumpkin recipes, pumpkin cream sauce