These cheesy, comforting Party Potatoes are always a hit! An easy, make ahead potato casserole that perfect for parties and holidays. Not only are these potatoes insanely delicious, but they only take 5 minutes of prep to get them started!
Party Potatoes Recipe
What more could you want from a potato casserole? These Party Potatoes are definitely party-worthy. Super cheesy, creamy and oh so comforting. This potato casserole with go with any main course that you’d normally serve a potato side dish with, which for us is just about everything.
Another reason we love this potato side dish is that it can be completely made ahead of time, which is a huge time saver when you’re planning a party or holiday. But the biggest reason that we love this potato casserole is because of the flavor.
Seasoned, tender potatoes in a cozy cream sauce topped with lots of cheddar cheese, count us in.
Ingredients For Party Potatoes
- Frozen Diced Potatoes (or hash browns): Diced, frozen potatoes that you can find right next to the french fries. Grab the plain version, not seasoned, because we’re going to flavor them up ourselves.
- Sour Cream
- Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup: 10.5 ounce can of condensed cream of chicken soup.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: We prefer to buy a block and grate it ourselves for the creamiest consistency.
- Onions: One extra step that we like taking is cooking the onions in a little olive oil to soften them before adding to the casserole.
- Butter: Melted butter for flavor.
How To Make Party Potatoes
This cheesy potato casserole, sometimes called Funeral Potatoes, is super simple to make. All you need to do is grab a few ingredients and you’re on your way!
- Add oil to a skillet and cook 1/2 cup of diced onion for 5 minutes until translucent and soft. Season with salt and black pepper and then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- To the bowl with the onions, add a defrosted 30 ounce bag of diced potatoes, sour cream, condensed cream of chicken soup, 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese and 4 tablespoons of melted butter. Mix to combine.
- Butter a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish and then spoon the potato mixture into the dish, evening out with a spatula.
- Add 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese to the top of the casserole and bake at 400 degrees for 35 – 40 minutes.
Can This Casserole Be Made Ahead Of Time?
Yes! We love make ahead recipes like these Party Potatoes. They make planning parties and holidays SO much easier. These potatoes a can be made a day or two in advance and then baked when you need them.
Potato side dishes like this one are also great for taking along to potlucks or dinner parties. Just cover with foil and head out the door!
Again, because these potatoes are so versatile, they’ll go with just about any main course. From steak and burgers, to chicken and pork. And most of all, your holiday ham!
Variations On This Potato Casserole Recipe
While we think these potatoes are perfect as is, there are some variations that you can make to the recipe! Leave them simply seasoned and perfectly creamy like we did here, or jazz them up with some extra ingredients!
Try mixing in cooked, chopped bacon, into the casserole and on top! Some recipes, especially Funeral Potatoes call for a crunchy cornflake topping.
You could add softened cream cheese instead of sour cream, or try using different spices like Old Bay or even some spice from cayenne or chili powder.
What Main Courses Go With Party Potatoes?
I’m telling you, pretty much anything. We’re a meat and potato family at heart, although we do love our chicken, pork and fish dishes as well. Whatever you’d serve with a potato side dish is going to go perfectly with this casserole.
- BEST BBQ Ribs
- Perfect Pulled Pork
- Cheesy Steak Sandwiches
- Chicken Pineapple Kabobs
- Crock Pot Chicken and Gravy
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Beer Brats
Looking For More Potato Side Dishes?
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Mashed Potato Casserole
- Cheesy Crockpot Potatoes
- Crispy Baked Steak Fries
- Red Skinned Mashed Potatoes
These cheesy, comforting Party Potatoes are always a hit! An easy, make ahead potato casserole that perfect for parties and holidays!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided – 1/2 teaspoon in with the onions and remaining teaspoon in potato mixture
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 30 ounce bag frozen diced potatoes, (plain hash browns) defrosted
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided – 1 cup in potato mixture and 1 1/2 cups on top of the casserole
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 10.5 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions to the pan and cook, while stirring for 5 minutes until the onions have softened. Season the onions with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and fresh black pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Add the potatoes to a large bowl along with 1 cup of the shredded cheese, the sour cream, melted butter, condensed soup, garlic powder and the remaining teaspoon of salt. Mix to combine.
- Pour the potato mixture into a buttered 9″ x 13″ casserole dish and bake for 40 minutes.
- Test to make sure the potatoes are tender and then serve.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, potato recipes, potato casserole, party potatoes, funeral potatoes, make ahead recipe, cheesy potatoes