These Chicken Marsala Portobello Mushrooms are a tasty low carb dinner the whole family will love! This healthy recipe is on the table in less than 30!
A Low Carb Dinner Recipe That Still Tastes Indulgent
Here I go jumping on the low carb wagon. It’s something that Christie has been doing for a while now, to loose a few pounds and also just to be healthier, so I decided it was time to get on board. There’s definitely a bunch of low carb recipes here on the site like the Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Eggs, or these Korean Beef Steak Kabobs…and a whole lot more. But these Chicken Marsala Portobello Mushrooms were the answer for tonight.
Easy to make, awesome flavor and definitely a low carb meal.
How To Make This Portobello Mushroom Recipe
Getting started here is pretty simple. Just onion and garlic in a skillet then ground chicken. You can substitute ground turkey or pork or beef in the filling too.
Another great swap out or addition is chopped broccoli if spinach isn’t your thing, or your kids thing. Add whatever vegetable they like to these mushrooms just to get them eating!
Once the filling is done, you can start on the mushrooms.
Trim the stems off the mushroom caps and scrape out the brown gills with a spoon. Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet and season them with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
Next fill the portobello mushrooms caps with the chicken and spinach filling and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
Pull them out – top the with more cheese and bake about 5 minutes more until the cheese is melted on top.
Now, I could eat about 3 of these things, but I’m gonna go ahead and say this recipe serves 4. Especially if you want to serve them with a salad or a cup of soup on the side. I can tell you that no one at our table missed a carb at this dinner – not even the boys!
Looking For More Low Carb Recipes?
This super tasty low carb dinner will be a hit with the whole family! Switch up the filling using ground turkey, beef or pork!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 5 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons marsala wine, divided
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese – 1/2 cup for the filling and 1/4 cup for topping the mushrooms
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened, then add the garlic to cook for a minute more.
- Next add the chicken and cook, breaking up with a spoon until browned through.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of the marsala wine, the salt and pepper. Cook down until the liquid is almost all absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Place the chopped spinach into the skillet a few handfuls at a time and stir into the chicken until wilted down, then add in the rest of the spinach to wilt.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup of the chihuahua (or mozzarella) cheese, stirring to combine.
- Pour in the remaining 2 tablespoons of marsala at the end and stir to combine.
- Set the filling aside while you prepare the mushrooms.
- Scrape the brown gills from the mushrooms and trim the stems.
- Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil, then fill each mushroom cap with the filling, dividing equally between all four mushrooms.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and top with the other 1/4 cup of cheese on each mushroom and bake for another 5 more minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top/Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: low carb dinner, low carb recipe, healthy recipes, recipes with ground chicken, dinner ideas