This super tasty low carb dinner will be a hit with the whole family! Switch up the filling using ground turkey, beef or pork!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 5 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons marsala wine, divided
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese – 1/2 cup for the filling and 1/4 cup for topping the mushrooms
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened, then add the garlic to cook for a minute more.
- Next add the chicken and cook, breaking up with a spoon until browned through.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of the marsala wine, the salt and pepper. Cook down until the liquid is almost all absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Place the chopped spinach into the skillet a few handfuls at a time and stir into the chicken until wilted down, then add in the rest of the spinach to wilt.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup of the chihuahua (or mozzarella) cheese, stirring to combine.
- Pour in the remaining 2 tablespoons of marsala at the end and stir to combine.
- Set the filling aside while you prepare the mushrooms.
- Scrape the brown gills from the mushrooms and trim the stems.
- Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil, then fill each mushroom cap with the filling, dividing equally between all four mushrooms.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and top with the other 1/4 cup of cheese on each mushroom and bake for another 5 more minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top/Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: low carb dinner, low carb recipe, healthy recipes, recipes with ground chicken, dinner ideas