Try these Air Fryer Tortilla Chips for a super crispy, addicting snack without the extra calories! Using an air fryer gets these chips ultra crispy and flavorful and ready for dipping. Use them with salsa and guacamole, dip them in soups or make a tray of nachos!
Healthy Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
When we’re looking to lighten up our appetizers or snacks, we often turn to our air fryer. Air Fryers cook without the use of oil, yet they achieve the same crispy, crunchy texture as you get with frying.
Our favorite air fryer to make these chips with is one with a basket, although we do also have a rack based air fryer as well. Either one will yield perfectly crispy, addicting tortilla chips so use whatever kind that you have.
How To Make Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
These healthy tortilla chips are so easy to make, there’s only one ingredient (minus salt and cooking spray) and one step!
- Cut thin corn tortillas into fourths like you see above. We’re using thin, 6 inch round corn tortillas. You can also use flour tortillas but we feel that corn tortilla taste more like an authentic tortilla chip.
- Separate the wedges and spray with an oil based cooking spray. Season with kosher salt and place into a pre-heated, 365 degree air fryer in a single layer.
- Air fry the chips for 4 minutes, then flip over, spray and salt, and continue cooking for an additional 3-4 minutes until browned and crispy.
Can You Bake These Chips In The Oven?
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can bake these tortilla chips in the oven as well. Prepare the tortillas in the same way as we do for this air fryer recipe, but then place them on a single layer on a baking sheet.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, flipping over halfway through the cooking time. Salt the chips again after the come out of the oven while they are still warm.
We do think that using an air fryer for these tortilla chips results in a much crispier chip, so if you do have an air fryer, you’ll get the best results.
Can You Use Flour Tortillas Instead Of Corn Tortillas?
You absolutely can. In our opinion, corn tortillas result in a more authentic tasting chip, but flour tortillas will also work.
Try and use the thinest tortillas that you can find, otherwise these will end up tasting more like a pita chip (also delicious). But if you’re really looking for a chip with a crunch, thinner will work better.
For a fun twist on the recipe, try using flavored tortillas like spinach or sun dried tomato! Using different flavors would be fun for a party, make a few different kinds and set them out with homemade guacamole and salsa or pico de gallo.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
Of course, guacamole and salsa, as we’ve already mentioned. Besides just inhaling a bowl of these chips straight from the bowl, these chops are sturdy enough to hold up to the thickest of dips!
- Sausage Queso
- Tex-Mex Crab Dip
- Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Layered Beef Burrito Dip
- Cheesy Hot Crab Dip
These chips stay crispy for days, literally days. Of course, if you’re using them in a nacho recipe or adding ingredients to the chips ahead of time, the will soften as any tortilla chips will do.
Just store the chips in an air tight plastic bag or an air tight container and they’ll keep fresh for up to 5 days. Even longer, to be honest, but our usually don’t hang around much longer than that.
You can even “refresh” slightly stale chips right back in your air fryer! Just a few minutes at 350 degrees and a bit more salt will do the trick.
Here’s Some More Air Fryer Recipes!
- Air Fryer Pizza
- Air Fryer Turkey Meatballs
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Air Fryer Chicken Tacos
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
These Air Fryer Tortilla Chips are super crispy and so addicting! Dip them in salsa, serve them with soups or make a platter of nachos. A healthy snack that everyone will love!
- 6 thin corn tortillas (6 inch size, see note)
- Avocado or olive oil cooking spray
- Kosher salt
- Preheat the air fryer to 365 degrees if needed.
- Cut the tortillas into fourths. Separate the wedges and place in a single layer in the air fryer. (You’ll most likely have to cook the chips in a couple of batches, depending on the size of your air fryer). Spray the tortillas with cooking oil and season with salt.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned. Flip the chips over, spray and salt on the second side and cook another 3-4 minutes until brown and crispy.
- cook at 365 degrees for 7-8 minutes, flipping over in between cooking time
Try and find corn tortillas that say “thin” in the description. Mission brand makes these, as well as a few other brands I’ve seen. Regular corn tortillas will also be fine, but we like the results that the thin tortillas achieve.
This recipe makes 24 tortilla chips, which we’re counting as a serving for 4 people, 6 chips each. Of course, you can double or triple this recipe to make as many chips as you need.
Storage: Store chips in an air tight container or a resealable plastic bag. The chips will keep fresh for up to 5 days. To crisp up stale chips, pop them back into the air fryer at 350 degrees for a 2-3 minutes.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, air fryer recipes, air fryer tortilla chips, snack food, healthy recipes, party food ideas, baked tortilla chips