Dips are so fun for parties! Be sure and try our Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip or our 5 minute Creamy Jalapeño Dip!
Creamy, Cheesy, Addicting Hot Dip Recipe
At almost every party or gathering of some kind, there’s going to be a dip recipe. A hot dip, cold dip or a queso dip keeping warm in a crock pot…
We love making dip.
Almost as important as the dip recipe itself is what you serve to “dip” into the dip. This is where you can get creative! Set out a few of the standards, then set out some interesting options that people might not normally think of.
And that’s how you get a party started, my friends. Well, that and some TEQUILA SHOTS…but we’ll get to that another time.
Can You Make This Hot Dip Recipe Ahead Of Time?
This is actually a really great appetizer that you can make ahead of time, yes. All before your guests arrive.
Assemble the layers of the dip and then stash in your fridge until it’s party time. Then all there is to do is pop it in the oven so it warms through and the cheese gets bubbly and melty on top.
Don’t be afraid to keep any leftovers, if there are any. Our kids scoop this dip out and pop it right in the microwave for a snack or lunch. There’s really no way that this dip is ever bad.
How To Make A Layered Dip
When you’re ready to make this Layered Beef Burrito Dip, start by making an easy beef filling. Just onion, ground beef, tomatoes and a few seasonings.
Start with a layer of refried beans on the bottom of a baking dish.
Top that layer with a layer of rice…you can use white or brown here, we went with white for this recipe. Have you guys ever tried frozen rice???
I never knew it existed until I tried it from Trader Joe’s. It’s so easy, just pop a bag in the microwave and in 3 minutes you have perfectly, fluffy, cooked rice!
They do have frozen rice right at your regular grocery store, too. Just an option to cut down on the prep work here.
The next layer is the beef so that the beef mixture can soak into the rice while it’s baking…that beef filling is so good you can just eat it up with a spoon.
Or with tortilla chips. Or Fritos. Or whatever is available. It doesn’t matter, this beef filling is so delicious you’ll be using it for your tacos, nachos, quesadillas, taco bowls…
Then the cheese. Don’t skimp out on the cheese here, its the best part, next to that yummy beef filling. Bake for 15 minutes and serve with tons of tortilla chips for dipping.
What Else Can I Serve With This Dip For Dipping?
- Celery or carrot sticks
- Pretzel chips
- Lightly toasted slices of bread (like a baguette)
- Small tortillas to make mini burritos
Our family and friends love this layered dip recipe so much, it’s one that we seem to make all the time. You can definitely switch up the cheese here, too!
Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack would be awesome! For the beef filling you can also use ground turkey or ground pork, or leave that layer out if you’re looking for a vegetarian dip.
One thing is for certain, this Layered Beef Burrito Dip is going to be the center of attention at your next party!
Looking For More Appetizer Recipes?
We’ve got so many to pick from, it’s hard to narrow down. But here’s a few to get you started…
- Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip with Bacon
- Crispy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- Italian Deli Roll Ups
- Skillet Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Sloppy Joe Mini Mac Sliders
Layered Beef Burrito Dip
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 for appetizers 1x
This layered beef dip is sure to be the center of attention at your next party!
- 1 (16 oz.) can refried beans
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the beef filling by adding the oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the beef and brown, breaking up with a spoon. Drain off any grease if necessary.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, garlic powder and salt then stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes to thicken and then remove from the heat to cool.
- Spread out a layer of refried beans in the bottom of an 8 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ baking dish.
- Next add a layer of the cooked rice, then a layer of the beef mixture, ending with the cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the dip is warmed through and the cheese is melted..
- Garnish with chopped scallions and serve with tortilla chips for dipping.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dip recipe, beef dip, layered dip, appetizers, appetizer recipes, ground beef recipes, beef recipes, burrito recipes
Instead of the plain diced tomatoes and tomato paste, I’d suggest cutting those out and just going with a can of Ro-Tel (original or hot). Surprised to see no onions here either. Dice half an onion and sauté with the ground beef, might also want to add a packet of sazon goya and you will be golden.
I used refried black beans, brown rice, and put pico de gallo on top because those are the ingredients I had to use. This is a wonderful recipe as written and very versatile, too. One of my husbands favorites when watching football or online gaming. I like it with some sour cream but that is just personal preference.
Sour cream is a definite at our house too!