These Crispy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms are one of our favorite, easy appetizer recipes! A creamy crab filling topped with crispy, buttery breadcrumbs!
There’s a few standard appetizer recipes that we make all the time, but every year we try and create something new to see if it will make it to the “must have” list of appetizers.
These Crispy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms made it.
Stuffed Mushrooms are such a popular appetizer recipe, and for good reason. There’s so many different variations of stuffed mushroom recipes you could have a whole stuffed mushrooms bar!
You don’t even have to use lump crab meat for these crab stuffed mushrooms. I used the claw meat for this recipe and it’s a heck of a lot cheaper!
When you’re mixing crab meat up with cream cheese and mayonnaise I don’t think you need to buy the expensive stuff. In fact, I know you don’t because no one was complaining.
So you certainly can buy lump crab meat…no one will complain about that either! It’s all about your budget.
The best part about these crab stuffed mushrooms is the crispy garlic breadcrumb topping. Homemade bread crumbs with tons of garlic and butter…these are not your ordinary ‘shrooms.
How Do You Make Stuffed Mushrooms?
Start out by making the garlic bread crumbs. Grab some white bread and throw it in your food processor to make the homemade bread crumbs.
Next add the breadcrumbs to a skillet along with a good amount of butter and let them get toasty.
Did you ever see that meme, “Don’t let anyone tell you how much garlic to add to a recipe? That S**t is personal?” Agreed.
For this recipe I’m adding a hefty amount. I love the buttery, garlic flavor in this topping but if you’re not as much of a garlic fan as I am them feel free to cut it back a little.
Wipe out the skillet and add some celery, red pepper and yep – a little more garlic.
Now it’s time to stir in the crab meat with the rest of the ingredients to make this crab stuffed mushroom filling.
SO as far as easy appetizers go, these crab stuffed mushrooms are only at about the 15 minute point so far…
Now it’s time to fill up your mushrooms caps and bake them off.
This recipe makes about 30 stuffed mushrooms and it only uses 1/2 pound of crab meat. A totally affordable and tasty appetizer for any holiday or party!
Looking For More Stuffed Mushroom Recipes?
• Pumpkin Cornbread Stuffed Mushrooms (Can use plain cornbread too!)
• Italian Meatball Stuffed Mushrooms (A very low carb stuffed mushroom recipe!)
• Chicken Portobello Stuffed Mushrooms (Another low carb recipe)
• Corned Beef Stuffed Mushrooms (For all those St. Patrick’s Day leftovers!)
This stuffed mushroom recipe is topped with the most delicious, buttery, homemade breadcrumbs!
For the Garlic Breadcrumb topping
- 7 slices of Italian bread, placed in a food processor to make crumbs. You’ll have about 2 cups.
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
For the Mushrooms
- 30 mushrooms, stems removed and washed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup celery, diced fine
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced fine
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 8 oz. crabmeat (you can use claw meat)
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of the garlic bread crumb topping
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Wash the mushrooms and pop the stems off of the caps.
- Toss in a bowl with the 2 T. olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and set your oven to 425 degrees.
- Start by making the breadcrumb topping. Melt the 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet and then add the bread crumbs.
- Toss the breadcrumbs in the butter until toasted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, lemon juice and the parsley and stir to combine.
- Remove the breadcrumb mixture from the skillet and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the same skillet. Add in the celery, scallions and red pepper and cook for 4-5 minuets.
- Next add the garlic, salt, pepper and crab meat, stirring to combine.
- Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Once cooled, add the mayonnaise, cream cheese, parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup of the breadcrumb topping.
- Fold all the ingredients together until well combined.
- Test for seasonings and then start filling your mushrooms.
- Top the filled mushrooms with the rest of the breadcrumb topping and place in the oven to bake.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the tops of the mushrooms are golden brown.
Keywords: easy appetizers, appetizer recipes, stuffed mushroom recipe, stuffed mushrooms, crab stuffed mushrooms