These Crispy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms are one of our favorite, easy appetizer recipes! A creamy crab filling topped with crispy, buttery breadcrumbs!
An Affordable Crab Appetizer Recipe
There’s a few standard appetizer recipes that we make all the time, but every year we try and create something new to see if it will make it to the “must have” list of appetizers.
These Crispy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms made the list. A crispy breadcrumb topping covers a creamy crab filling all sitting in a bite sized mushroom cap. So really, this stuffed mushroom recipe is the perfect appetizer.
Also these stuffed mushrooms can be made ahead of time so you can cross another thing off of your to do list when preparing for your party. Once you bring out a hot tray of these crab filled mushrooms…the party starts.
What Kind Of Crab Meat Do I Use For This Recipe?
You definitely shouldn’t use lump crab meat for this appetizer recipe. Because you’re mixing the filling with cream cheese and other ingredients, the crab meat breaks down so you wouldn’t want to waste expensive lump crab meat on this.
Using claw meat will still give you that awesome crab flavor and is also much less expensive so you can make a LOT of these stuffed mushrooms!
I mean, you certainly can buy lump crab meat…no one will complain about that either! It’s all about your budget.
The best part about these crab filled mushrooms is the crispy garlic breadcrumb topping. Homemade bread crumbs with tons of garlic and butter make the perfect topping for the rich, creamy crab filling.
How Do You Make Stuffed Mushrooms?
Start out by making the garlic bread crumb topping. We love using panko breadcrumbs for recipes like this because they are so much crispier when toasted then regular breadcrumbs.
Toss the breadcrumbs in a skillet with butter until they are golden brown, then add garlic – a lot – and a few seasonings to the mixture. Wee are a garlic loving family so you can adjust the garlic to your liking, but the more garlic the better for me!
Remove the breadcrumbs from the skillet to a bowl to cool, the add olive oil to the same skillet to start the crab filling. The filling for these stuffed mushrooms has celery, red pepper, scallions, cream cheese…and yes, crab meat.
Once the filling is finished you can start filling the mushroom caps. Get a lot in each mushroom, as much as can fit. We don’t want wimpy looking appetizers here. Nice, big mushrooms filled to the max with crab is what we’re looking for!
When you add the bread crumb topping, make sure to press lightly so that the topping will stick to the filling instead of falling off.
Looking For More Stuffed Mushroom Recipes?
• Pumpkin Cornbread Stuffed Mushrooms (Can use plain cornbread too!)
• Italian Meatball Stuffed Mushrooms (A very low carb stuffed mushroom recipe!)
• Chicken Portobello Stuffed Mushrooms (Another low carb recipe)
• Corned Beef Stuffed Mushrooms (For all those St. Patrick’s Day leftovers!)
This creamy crab stuffed mushroom recipe is topped with the most delicious, buttery, homemade breadcrumbs!
For the Garlic Breadcrumb topping
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
For the Mushrooms
- 30 mushrooms, stems removed and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup celery, diced fine
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced fine
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 8 oz. crabmeat (claw meat)
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of the garlic bread crumb topping
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Clean the mushrooms and carefully remove the stems, leaving the cap whole.
- Toss the mushrooms in a bowl with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and then place the mushrooms caps on a baking sheet and set your oven to 425 degrees.
- Make the breadcrumb topping by melting 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet. Add the bread crumbs and toss with the butter until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, lemon juice and the parsley and stir to combine. Remove the breadcrumb mixture from the skillet and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the same skillet. Add in the celery, scallions and red pepper and cook for 4-5 minuets.
- Next add the garlic, salt, pepper and crab meat, stirring to combine, then transfer the filling to a bowl to cool.
- Once the filling has cooled, add the mayonnaise, cream cheese and the parmesan cheese and fold gently to combine.
- Fill the mushroom caps with the crab filling and then generously top with the breadcrumb topping, pressing the topping slightly onto the filling so that it sticks.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the tops of the mushrooms are golden brown.
Keywords: easy appetizers, appetizer recipes, stuffed mushroom recipe, stuffed mushrooms, crab stuffed mushrooms