Pile this addicting Slow Cooker Italian Beef onto sub rolls, serve with mashed potatoes on the side or eat as is for a low carb meal!
This recipe taste just like Grandma’s! Just a slightly spicy broth from the peppers coat this super tender beef that you can use for sandwiches, pizza recipes and so much more!
Tender Italian Beef Recipe
There are just some recipes that work really well in a crock pot. Pot roast and any variation of that like this Slow Cooker Italian Beef is definitely one of them.
A cut of beef that might usually be tough turns so tender and so flavorful after 8 hours in your slow cooker, it’s almost too hard to wait for it! This shredded beef recipe is simple seasoned and has a mildly spicy broth from the peppers with a CRAZY addicting flavor.
Just season a rump roast or a bottom roast, add broth, garlic and banana peppers and set your slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
How Do You Make Italian Beef?
Making Italian Beef in your slow cooker couldn’t be easier. Just a few ingredients and about 5 minutes is all you need to get started!
- Add the roast to the bottom of an 8 quart slow cooker.
- Mix the beef broth, beef base and Worcestershire sauce and pour it into the slow cooker.
- Season the roast with salt, pepper and a dry onion soup packet.
- Add smashed garlic cloves and mild banana pepper rings along with some juice. Set the slow cooker to low for 8 hours until the beef is tender.
- Shred the beef and return it to the slow cooker and stir together with the juices.
If you’re home, I like to get in there and spoon some of the sauce over the roast a couple of times during cooking but it’s not necessary if you are letting this beef cook while you’re gone for the day.
What you end up with is this beef roast that’s so tender it practically shreds itself, and the taste is out of this world delicious!
How Do You Remove The Fat from The Liquid?
Here’s what I like to do. Remove the roast from the broth and set it on a board to cool. Drain the broth from your slow cooker into a gravy separator. This will help to quickly bring the fat to the top of the broth so you can discard it before adding the beef back to the juice.
If you don’t have a gravy separator you can let it cool slightly then go in with a cold ladle and get off as much of the top layer of fat as you can. Now shred your beef and add it back to all those delicious juices and peppers.
Can You Make Italian Beef Ahead Of Time?
Definitely! You can also make this recipe a day (or two) ahead of time, shred the beef and keep it separate from the broth. Then once the fat solidifies on top of the broth you can easily scoop it off.
If you’re serving this Slow Cooker Italian Beef for Sunday dinner or for a party you can add the broth and shredded beef back to a slow cooker on low until it comes back up to temperature or you can heat it back up on the stove or in the oven.
How Do You Serve Italian Beef?
Just try to not eat all this beef as is. Just try. Our kids are picking at it right from the bowl before we can get anything else done, like get some mashed potatoes or noodles ready to serve on the side…
But this beef is so good in SO many other ways, too – Here’s a few of our favorites!
- Rolls for Italian Beef Sandwiches (with or without melted cheese)
- Stuffed into baked potatoes
- Rolled up in tortillas
- Topping for pizza
- Topping for nachos
This recipe is one of our family favorites and we hope it becomes yours too! We haven’t mentioned how amazing this roast smells while it’s cooking…you need to make it just for that!
Need More Amazing Slow Cooker Recipes?
- BBQ French Dip Sandwiches
- Pulled Pork Taquitos
- Our Favorite Pulled Pork
- Crock Pot Sausage & Peppers
- Crock Pot Corned Beef
This Italian Beef recipe is so tender you hardly need a knife to eat it! Serve this shredded beef as is or piled on sub rolls!
- 3 1/2 – 4 pound rump roast or bottom roast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 tablespoon beef base (like Better than Boullion)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup beef consommé (can substitute beef broth)
- 4 smashed garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup mild banana pepper rings with juice (about 2 tablespoons)
- Place the roast into the bottom of a 6-8 quart slow cooker.
- Season with salt, pepper and soup mix.
- Whisk the beef base, Worcestershire sauce and beef consommé together and then pour into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the garlic cloves and banana peppers and their juices.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, basting with the broth every couple of hours if possible.
- Remove the roast to a cutting board to cool. Once the beef is cool enough to handle, shred the meat discarding any fat and place back into the slow cooker and toss with the broth.
- Serve in sub rolls or eat as is with mashed potatoes or noodles on the side.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: slow cooker beef, slow cooker recipes, crock pot recipes, italian beef, crock pot pot roast, low carb recipe, dinner recipe